Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Travelling to South America

my friend got back from argentina recently and hated it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 AM

My wife's sister lived in Argentina for a few years. Anti-American sentiment is intense there. Maybe that's not unique to Argentina....
Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife's sister lived in Argentina for a few years. Anti-American sentiment is intense there. Maybe that's not unique to Argentina....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty strong in most of South America, The World.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 AM

Feel free to call me if you come to Costa Rica. I live in San Jose. You don't need a visa of any sort if you are American to visit.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on personal experience:

Avoids
======
Venezuela
Colombia

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I dont know your experience there but I have gone their for 1 months time on 10 different occasions all of which have been fantastic. While I stayed with family, we took mini vacations to "Los Roques" a beutiful archipeligo for 1 week. It was very secluded and was great times if you like catamaranges and crystal clear water/beach. Also staying at the islands of Margireta are good times. This is more of a tourist adventure as compared to Los Roques, but is good times for beach, food, water. We took flight from Chicago O'hare , to Miama, To Caracas,venezuela and then from their take a 30 min flight to either of those 2 places. If you want more info just pm me.
-$

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Venezuela for two years and saw a steady decline in the political stability and crime rate (which has since gotten worse). I've been to Angel Falls, Los Roques, Isla Margarita, and other nice spots and they are awesome but I wouldn't go back volunatarily now because of the socio-political mess down there. I have many Venezeulan friends who have left and will not go back until Chavez is gone.

On Colombia - been there twice, I loved it there - it is cheap, the women are more beautiful than Venezuelans, and there is a lot to do - but the crime is just too bad for tourism.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 AM

Brazil, Brazil, Brazil.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:31 AM

Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brazil, Brazil, Brazil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-16-2005, 05:04 PM

Went there last January with my girlfriend. She grew up there so I relied on her completely for communication since I don't speak Spanish. Had a great time.

Spent half the time in Managua with trips to:
Isla de Ometepe - Island made from two volcanos in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. You can climb them both, one is still active but the other has a lagoon at the top that you can swim in. If you're going you should park your car on the mainland and take the ferry on foot.

Granada - has an old European feel to it. A nice place to walk around.

San Juan del Sur - nice town in a horseshoe bay on the west coast. Cheaps hostels to stay in and the food was great, especially if you like seafood. The water was a little cold compared to other places. There's a great beach just 20 minutes north of it but the road was terrible. We'd rented a tiny sedan and it bottomed out a few times.

Montelimar - all inclusive resort that a lot of people from Montreal go to. The beach was fantastic but the food was bland. Only stayed for one day.