Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand - A6o on bubble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is the short stack and can't afford to wait for a premium hand. Against a bully's range A6 is good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

if his range is any two cards and you know he will call its .5 +EV. A6 is certainly not good enough against his range if he is calling

[/ QUOTE ]

This post doesn't make any sense. The ideal situation would be to have the big stack fold a lot of hands here. We pick up 525 chips with no risk to the stack. Even if he always calls us as a 3:2 underdog, our EV compared to folding is +T400. It is better to see him fold a ton here and be a big dog when he calls compared to seeing him call a lot as a nice favorite.

Any smart villian is playing close to 90% of their hands in this spot. We would call him with A6o if he was playing well, so we should certainly push over the top since we might get some FE to boot. Of course if he isn't playing well and is folding a lot then we should just fold and pick a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I was smart, I would never dream of playing 90% of my hands in the villian's shoes, especially with a desperate shortstack in the BB. You don't want to attack the shortest stack when they are the BB, as they are most likely to fight back. This is precisely the time to not play such a large % of hansd.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 PM

So in that case curtains.. why did you push.. lol?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So in that case curtains.. why did you push.. lol?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because I made a play doesn't mean it was the correct one. I still want to know who the villian was.

Oops I just notice its posted above...I don't recognize the name. I'm sure I pushed because I felt I had some folding equity, which is the key. If I have no equity, pushing is almost surely incorrect. A stop and go is a reasonable option as is folding. I suspect that folding is correct.

In any case Im sure that at the time I felt as though I had some fold equity, although this was probably a poor judgement on my part. Im sure I have some, but probably not enough.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I think you have a little FE here, but not much. I'd estimate he folds maybe his bottom 20% or something like that if his raising range is sufficiently big enough.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:12 PM

You will have 6 big blinds if you fold here. This isn't exactly desperation mode. If he shoves everytime and you call 20% of the time, it is nice spot for him to be in. He picks up T225 80% of the time and loses say T330 (as a 2:1 dog) when you call. The EV of pushing it in is ~ +T110. Slightly less since the SB will sometimes have a hand. This is the perfect time for him to move in every hand.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:27 PM

At first glance I don't like this play at all. It seems almost certainly -$EV as it's real easy for Villain to call & even if Villain raises & calls with literally any 2, the play is only slightly profitable.

But if every single hand is getting raised ahead of Hero's rapidly-shrinking stack, I can see making this play as a lesser-of-two-evils compromise.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:44 PM

"But if every single hand is getting raised ahead of Hero's rapidly-shrinking stack, I can see making this play as a lesser-of-two-evils compromise."

I disagree with this. You can always raise UTG. Meanwhile, if lots of hands are getting raised, someone else might call. And if someone raises and someone calls and neither of those someones are you, you gain tournament EV.

So, unless you are sure that villain is raising any 2, or that he will fold too often to your reraise, I'd rather foldt his hand and just raise when its folded to you.

moses
Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"But if every single hand is getting raised ahead of Hero's rapidly-shrinking stack, I can see making this play as a lesser-of-two-evils compromise."

I disagree with this. You can always raise UTG. Meanwhile, if lots of hands are getting raised, someone else might call. And if someone raises and someone calls and neither of those someones are you, you gain tournament EV.

So, unless you are sure that villain is raising any 2, or that he will fold too often to your reraise, I'd rather foldt his hand and just raise when its folded to you.

moses

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about the fact that when you're UTG, it's the huge stack who's in the BB?

Also, it's true that someone else may call one of the next few raises, but doesn't it become less & less likely as your stack shrinks & the medium stacks become more & more committed to waiting you out? also, it's not enough for someone to just call a preflop raise...someone actually has to bust, and it seems that with you this short your opponents are gonna be careful postflop as well as preflop.

i'm definitely playing the devil's advocate as i've almost never made this push, but these points came to mind so i thought i'd throw them out there.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:18 AM

The devil is dead man, I already said I don't like my play.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:22 AM

I love the stop-n-go here.