Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

View Poll Results: Push Limp Call MinRaise??
PUSH 42 30.22%
FOLD 64 46.04%
CALL 17 12.23%
MIN RAISE!!!! 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Blackberry 7130e vs. Palm Treo 650

Which should I get, and why?

I will be using my choice for:

1) Cell phone (daily usage. 400-500 min per month)
2) PDA (my whole life will be on here including reminders of everything I have to do even like, a year from now)
3) Txt messaging (maybe 5-10 a day)
4) Internet (very infrequent... but when I use it I'd like to be able to access what I need in a convenient fashion)

So... what's the verdict? I like how the Treo has a stylus, but I don't like how you can't write on the screen ala Graffiti like the PDAs. I like how the BlackBerry has the larger buttons with the predictive text input, but I don't like how it doesn't have a camera and that little scroll wheel seems annoying, but I could get used to it.

Oh... and ignore the price differences.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Blackberry 7130e vs. Palm Treo 650

You'd have to search for it, but from what I have heard the Blackberry technology was ripped off. In 2003 there was some form of settlement, but now there is talk of a new case. If the patent owner does not settle, it could be interesting. I think this makes the Treo and easier choice.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 PM

hey dude, I work for a company that writes software for mobile devices and we do a bunch of testing on just about every palm/PPC device manufactured, and FWIW the Treo constantly has hardware/firmware issues, very flaky. we do some intensive stuff, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I know nothing about the blackberry.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd have to search for it, but from what I have heard the Blackberry technology was ripped off. In 2003 there was some form of settlement, but now there is talk of a new case. If the patent owner does not settle, it could be interesting. I think this makes the Treo and easier choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I heard too, but won't a ruling against them in a law suit only affect corporations who have all of their employees connected through some fancy Blackberry Enterprise server at work? Would a solitary end user like myself be affected too?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I heard too, but won't a ruling against them in a law suit only affect corporations who have all of their employees connected through some fancy Blackberry Enterprise server at work? Would a solitary end user like myself be affected too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to find this answer, but couldn't. Odds are that eventually this thing settles and nothing happens...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Hey,

Since I'm somewhat of a power user, who has tried, but not stuck with either of these, I'll give you my input:

Blackberry:
-Nice that it seems easier to navigate, but good lord, how bout a stylus? I would hate having to use a WHEEL to navigate through everything.
-You have to pay $45/m for the RIM service (IE, email, internet, etc).
-Potential issues with their patent suit, but I'm assuming that will get worked out. Not a major issue.
-Works well with bluetooth headsets, and can do BT voice dialing.

Treo 650
-Has palm software, but no ability to "scribble" notes, etc.
-Works with bt headsets, but oddly enough does NOT allow a good way to use voice dial with a bt headset. You can do a quirky workaround, but it renders the feature crippled. You can TALK using one, just can't do voice dial. Allegedly working on a resolution, but that was a year ago.
-Nice that you could get a card and get wifi access at some point. This should be built in.
-Does have some software/hardware quirks that are well documented (That is, that it has a TON of weird [censored] going on with it).
-Data service through most carriers is closer to $15/m as opposed to the $45/m you pay with RIM.

Personally, I dont think the Treo is ready for the bigtime for hard usage. It syncs nicely, etc, but the bt headset issue was a dealbreaker for me. Likewise, the blackberry I hated the wheel, and having to pay $45/m for service. FU RIM.

So, pick your poison? Personally, I'm waiting another 6 months, for some very nice phones with build in wifi, windows os, etc.

Nick
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Oh, and one other thing.

What I might do, is wait a few more months until Verizon has data services where I live (IE, Verizon Broadband), get a card for a Dell Axim to use with that, and use that as a PDA, it has wifi, works well with bt headsets, and could use VOIP service + softphone. VIOLA, cell/home phone with unlimited minutes (Because using verizon broadband service) using VOIP, PDA, etc.

Nick