Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Thin Value Bet?

not thin

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that's thin at all. It's gotta be small though so he calls, he probably has somethign like KQ, KJ diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is too thin. What do you want to bet on the river? You have problems betting a real small amount, because of your rather big turn raise. And you are the UTG preflop-raiser on a K-High board. What hand could he put you on if he wanted to call with KQo or JJ?

On the other hand, you wont lose too much with a small bet either. I dont see a normal player raising this river with anything you beat, so you could easily fold. If he had some wierd draw to the nut flush, you wont get any money out of him, but you also dont have to show your hand. I think it's rather dependent on your style if you want to show 98o UTG raise or not. Most of the times against most opponents it doesnt matter at all though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 AM

Is it possible that he slowplayed the flush here? First checking to the raiser with the flush, then when the board paired he bet kinda of weak because he didn't want to get too deep on a paired board. When he got raised he went for a checkcall line (with a lesser than nutflush)..

I don't think that is too likely tho.. I think he has a king and make 1/2 PSB (A nine would lead the river no?)

He could ofcourse have the lone A of diamonds, but if you bet half the pot and he immediatly folds then you pretty much know what he was holding without having to show your own hand down (this can be both positive and negative tho depending on what image you want to project)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Not thin. 4-handed, any K will look you up a ton of the time as will many hands that contain a pair (something like QQ with the Q of diamonds probably calls here, too, though its an unlikely holding). You're also getting checkraised close to never and absolutely never by a worse hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're also getting checkraised close to never and absolutely never by a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first thing that crossed my mind of when thinking about whether or not to value bet this river, so I wanted to reiterate it.

KoW
Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 PM

I started to check. Then I realized I will almost never get raised here and from the way he's played the hand, it looks likely mine is good. And there are some possible worse hands that can call. I wasn't sure how much to bet and after taking some time I ended up betting $90 (about half the size of the pot). He folded.

Still not sure about it. My line looks like a slowplay (flush) and that will make it hard to get paid off by kings on the river. My bet may be small relative to the pot, but it's still a lot to risk on a crying call (and it looks like a value bet). I may have been better off betting bigger and hoping it looks like a bluff (but I'd like to have a read that tells me my opponent will fall for it before trying it) or just betting so small that my opponent feels compelled to call with anything.