Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: AK Villain refuses to let me control the pot size

[ QUOTE ]
That is one vicious check raise, why not bet the flop though, as far as you know at that point it is almost requisite yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it requisite to bet marginal hands when your opponent is likely drawing dead?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:21 PM

Don't check behind on the pot. Bet 3/4 pot. Than 2/3 on the turn. Check behind river. You can fold to a turn check raise or a large river bet.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't check behind on the pot. Bet 3/4 pot. Than 2/3 on the turn. Check behind river. You can fold to a turn check raise or a large river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

why didn't you just quote my post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I bet 2/3 to the pot on the flop and then check the turn. I call a pot sized river bet or maybe bet 1/2 pot on river. I fold to that push.

Edit: Why do people like betting the turn? It seems like we're eager to put a lot of money in the pot with a potentially weak hand.

Maybe I'm a little too tight for my own good.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why didn't you just quote my post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't read the replies if I plan on making one after reading the OP. I guess great minds think alike. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 PM

The "standard" pot control AK line in position is to bet the flop, check behind on the turn and then call a reasonable river bet. I'm not saying this is the only good line but why is everybody saying to bet every street?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Why you check the flop

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post4060240
Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 PM

I don't want to be one of those people who posts asking for advice and then turns around and justifies their play despite what everyone says but...

Here's the first thing. I said he was 70/4 (30 hands) which relates to preflop. I never said anything about his post flop play besides "relatively unknown", so to all those who are saying "do x, y, z vs a passive opponent" I don't know how you're making that logical leap.

Secondly, betting this flop is not mandatory as most of you say, and I'm kind of disappointed that this point isn't more obvious. Bet flop, check turn, call river is the "standard." It's also a very open book line to anyone with any NL experience. If villain checkraises my flop bet here (which I might make with a WIDE range of hands based on PF action), I'm in a tough spot.

As for the results, I went ahead and paid him off his 74o on the river with a call. Against a relative unknown it's probably a fold. After watching him for the next hour, I started feeling less and less bad about my river call. Whatever.

I encourage you guys to think about how faulty the logic is to imply "bet all streets so if he plays back you can make a good fold."

I wonder if others have noticed, but it seems like villains will often make bigger bets than normal after they miss a check raise. The full pot bet on the turn, and the huge bet on the river after I checked behind the flop. At the time I thought he was just trying to push me off a QQ-88 type hand (i think he will do this a good % of the time) however what I should have realized is that he would bet a lot less on the river to accomplish that goal. I think his big river bet was to try to "catch up ground" on his missed flop checkraise.

Thanks for reading,

KoW
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 PM

n/m
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM

I don't think any of us mind you checking the flop as long as you fill us in on you reason/plan for the inevitable turn bet and river action.

Many times when posters put up hands like this they are lost where the villain fires out a turn bet, which is why you got the ABC line replies here (since ABC is still the best way to extract at this level).