Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-02-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: I can\'t put this guy on a hand

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He tried to steal on the cheap (the minraise) and it blew up on him. His raising range preflop in this situation ought to be fairly wide and many players have a hard time folding to reraises even if they didn't have much when they raised (the thinking is usually an overconfidence about the hidden value of their hand and the fact that they have 2 live cards). If you were reraising something like JJ or AQ, he can probably win the pot with nothing by making his puny minraise.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think AA is his most likely hand and since you reraised he's putting you on KK/QQ at worst AK but given the way you pushed I think he settled for KK or QQ and he made a good fold. I'd have flat called the raise and maybe made a medium sized turn bet and try to make it look more like AK...the push makes what you have fairly obvious and given your description of this player I'd be thinking you won't get his stack that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I call the raise there's $420 in the pot and he has around $190 left.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think AA is his most likely hand and since you reraised he's putting you on KK/QQ at worst AK but given the way you pushed I think he settled for KK or QQ and he made a good fold. I'd have flat called the raise and maybe made a medium sized turn bet and try to make it look more like AK...the push makes what you have fairly obvious and given your description of this player I'd be thinking you won't get his stack that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think pushing his raise just gives him a chance to get away. If you smoothcall and lead the turn for $100 how can he get away? I don't see how giving him a look at the turn is going to hurt.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 PM

First read, I put him on AK right away.

It's unusual that he has the case king, but hey, it happens.

As for AA...it seems like lot of people will just push preflop after the re-raise. Maybe that's just at the 25-50NL tables I play at though.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 PM

The min-raise seems a whole lot like just a feeler bet, not even considering the results, rather than a sheer display of strength. In situations like this I will push 50% of the time, but also call 50% of the time and then lead the turn for about half his stack.

It has been my experience that people who don't call 3-bets often DO call stop-n-gos.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so? A decent player is going to fold there if he knows he's beat...it's still $200 to call there and he figures he's drawing practically dead.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:18 PM

My point is that a medium-size bet on the turn is still a push.