Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: I don\'t respond to donk bets well

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and why is a 1/3 pot bet a donk bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i raised preflop and now he's leading into me = donkbet

(it's a term, not a description per se)

[/ QUOTE ]

call me a donk but i do this ALL the time when i flop a good hand, particularly if i'm heads up and flop a set. i lead into the raiser with a 1/3-1/2 pot bet, get raised by TPTK or an overpair, and end up re-raising all-in with a hand that has him beat. i prefer this line vs. check-raises b/c check-raises send off too many warning signs.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 AM

the A9 is forever known as the Matt Damon hand at the beginning of Rounders, it won't be layed down.

Seriously though, these bets confuse me because my method of thinking is not right.. When I see that bet I immediately think "hmm, he wants a card for free, there's a flush draw out there, he'd surely protect his top pair and deny me odds to draw to anything, I'll raise him"

I have similar situations come up online (except worse, like 200 into 1200 pot) I'll raise only to see them raise me, now I play those situations more cautiously.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 AM

I agree with ononimo. My question though is why raise to an active BB with j10?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like it. there are A LOT of hands that a loose player could have easily called (but not raised) in the BB that have you beat here (Ax, KJ, QJ). Even if you aren't beat already, what do you do if a diamond hits the turn? remember, you aren't pushing him off a marginal hand and he's already told you he has something. is middle pair/weak kicker the hand you want to go to war with?

i fold and wait for him to pay me off when i have a real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's very possible that I'm beat here. It's also possible that he has a middling pair looking to see if it's best or a flush draw trying for a cheap card or J9/J8 or QT, KQ etc...
What really screws w/ me on this hand is where I leave myself by folding (the blinds move pretty quick in this tourney, 15 min).

I folded and he didn't show. It just felt so weak at the time.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and why is a 1/3 pot bet a donk bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i raised preflop and now he's leading into me = donkbet

(it's a term, not a description per se)

[/ QUOTE ]

call me a donk but i do this ALL the time when i flop a good hand, particularly if i'm heads up and flop a set. i lead into the raiser with a 1/3-1/2 pot bet, get raised by TPTK or an overpair, and end up re-raising all-in with a hand that has him beat. i prefer this line vs. check-raises b/c check-raises send off too many warning signs.

[/ QUOTE ]

like i said before, it's a description of the play, not the player. It's more of a limit thing. It's simply leading into the preflop raiser after just calling preflop.

In this particular spot, it happened to be a fantastic bet w/ whatever he had (though I'm quite sure it was accidental)
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, it's very possible that I'm beat here. It's also possible that he has a middling pair looking to see if it's best or a flush draw trying for a cheap card or J9/J8 or QT, KQ etc...
What really screws w/ me on this hand is where I leave myself by folding (the blinds move pretty quick in this tourney, 15 min).

I folded and he didn't show. It just felt so weak at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear what you're saying about "feeling weak" but i think the fact that the player is so bad would actually make you feel better about folding. if it was a good/tricky player who bet out, i'd feel worse about folding because i'd be worried that i was being outplayed.

you've still got T3000 behind with 100/200 blinds and you've got a bunch of hands before you pay the blinds again ... i think you're in good enough shape that you don't need to panic, even with 15-min rounds.

btw, i understood your clarification of "donk bet" - didn't mean to make it seem like i thought you were calling me a "donk" ... i actually think leading into the pre-flop raiser is good play in limit too because it's so much harder to get bets into the pot in limit vs. no limit.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i actually think leading into the pre-flop raiser is good play in limit too because it's so much harder to get bets into the pot in limit vs. no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

as do i.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:36 PM

i like the fold. i'm not sure why, but he seems like the kind of guy who will

- likely lead with Ax.

- likely bluff again if he doesn't have it (so you can't call flop fold turn)
Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 PM

I hate folding, too, but I'd do it. Hell, early in a tournament, I'd probably fold KK here. There are guys out there who just love Ax, and won't let go of top pair for the sun moon or stars. He sounds like one of them. Wait til you have AK and then take his lunch money.