Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Meh

I like the rope a dope line taken here for the majority of plays. Given the villians PFR% of 13% I think it is more profitable. If villian had a tighter perflop raiser %, say 8-9%. I think Entity's line would be more attractive to me. Also I think Entity's line would probably play better at higher table limits.
I have been thinking about this exact situation myself in the last two days.
I agree with another poster that this is a play that should employ a mixed strategy.
I think I see a lot of opponnents taking a bet/call fold the turn line here.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's quite fair to say "this is 2/4" and leave it at that. That's a disservice to those who are playing at these limits. They're not all mindless automatons. I'm not giving him much credit for being a great player, but I'm trying to balance

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong on this. If I thought he was completely mindless then i'd have no problem with raising any street here as he probably wouldn't take notice. I am giving him credit for some surface deep thinking. I just think this type of player is more likely to start really thinking about what we might have after being raised.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a close decision but I really think too many people on these boards forgo flop value raises in favor of getting tricky and carry that habit over to higher limits where it's incredibly transparent and loses you lots of bets in the longrun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Is this an issue where the wider the raisers PFR % and the more aggressive the better the rope - a - dope strategy is?
Also for the sake of not being predictabile it seems to me that alternating what you do here is probably more important than choosing between the rope - a - dope and the "fast is the new slow play"
From the opponents perspective when would you call a river raise and when would a flop raise make you seriously consider laying down on this board.

Anecdotally I seem to get too much respect for having an ace from my opponnents at Party 2/4. (my PFR % is around 10%) I feel like I need to mix it up more when I am donk bet to keep them guessing. (Of course if a two flush is on the board I make them pay).

I am asking b/c I made a post and my analysis is ass backwards from yours. I read and respect your posts. I am still learning. (OK I am kissing up -whatever)
Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think this type of player is more likely to start really thinking about what we might have after being raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I doubt that a typical 2/4 player is going to get through the thinking process of "he raised the flop, so he probably doesn't have an ace".

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like these are contradictory but maybe I'm just out of touch with how a 2/4 player plays. At 5/10 I know I like raising the flop.

Rob
Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Imo most not-so-deep-thinking players put us on AK when we raise this flop. I think you're giving him credit for thinking at a level that you would after being raised on this hand.

I agree the flop raise makes more sense at 5/10. The aggression levels are higher and a raise in this spot is a bit more suspicious.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:50 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i do think the flop raise is the play. but i think it is complemented by a style that plays the flop fast in general. specifically speaking of this situation, if Qtip does not play this way the rewards for this hand may not be optimal. it seems alot of people in small stakes give up the deception of their hands and pop raises on the big streets. while you may win an extra bet on that particular hand, by playing the flop fast with your strong and weak holdings alike it makes it tougher in a session or later sessions for an opponent to put you on a hand.