Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM

Default 200NL Confused 2pair against a weird opponent

Villain's play is so weird I'm confused as the best action. Villain is something like 25/4, but has been playing a bit loose in the last couple orbits. I wouldn't slap him with a calling station label, however he has been calling down a bit lighter than my tastes. His aggression is about typical for the $200 game, which is to say not overly aggressive or passive.

Hero ($200)
Villain ($250)

Hero is in the big blind with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Villain limps UTG, 2 folds, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button limps, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop ($11) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $11, Villain raises to $50, Hero calls (??)

I think villain is capable of raising on a big draw, but I hadn't seen him do it yet. The plan was to get it in on a safe turn.

Turn ($111) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Well Fvck.

Hero checks (??) Villain bets $25, Hero calls(??)

WTF? This bet confused the hell out of me. My 2 pair just got counterfeit, but he's giving me an incredible price in case he's on a draw? I also wondered if villain was "thinking" enough to price in a flush draw if he was already full. or is this a scared T waiting for me to checkraise him off his hand?

Please critique the hand on flop and turn.

If you call this turn, what's the plan on a diamond river and non-diamond river?

KoW
Old 11-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: 200NL Confused 2pair against a weird opponent

I've seen 200NL opponents do this raise / weird bet with both huge hands and also marginal ones. If he is a weak type I would expect to see TPGK more often, if he is more standard or tricky the mix tends more towards a big hand. I might slow-call if he's the type to check behind with both TPGK and a missed draw as you have a chance to counterfeit his kicker on the river or win it when he misses. Definitely not betting any more here, and if he's going to bet a lot of rivers you might just want to muck.

NT
Old 11-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Tough one

That is a huge flop raise. My standard line right here is to call the raise and lead the turn for 2/3 or so, but the pot is already so big that you will be pot committed with that turn bet. Only two options I see are to fold the flop or push all-in. What was his W$@SD?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM

That is a very large raise for this game...smells like a set trying to push out any possible draw. I don't think a fold on the flop is out of order.

Turn bet is very suspect. Villian is either very unsure of his hand (why wouldn't he check?) or not at all afraid of the draw hitting (Filled up). It's tough to let yourhand go getting 5 to 1 odds...maybe call turn and try and get to a cheap showdown (?). Tough spot for sure...please post results - interested to see how it played out.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:24 AM

Default RESULTS

Results

Well I thought this one would get more attention since it's not your typical ZOMG I GOT OVERPEAR AND WAS CHECKRAIZZED!!11 but I guess it was less interesting than I thought [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As it turned out I called the turn making the pot about $161. The river came a Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], horrible. I checked, he pushed making it about $120 to call. I obviously folded feeling pretty comfortable that I was beat, but still unsure what his holding is. My plan for a non-diamond J or better, 4, 6, or T was block/value 1/3 pot. Obviously Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] completes a big portion of his range so a check/fold was in order.

KoW
Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 PM

i think he has TT or T6 here. His turn bet followed by a river push is an indication of a monster hand. I would seriouly consider fold to his turn bet since your hand can only beat a bluff on turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he has TT or T6 here. His turn bet followed by a river push is an indication of a monster hand. I would seriouly consider fold to his turn bet since your hand can only beat a bluff on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, how small of a turn bet would villain have to make before considering a call? or a raise?

Now that we see villain pushes the river, it's easier to think he may have a big hand, but try to remove that from your mind when evaluating the turn action.

KoW
Old 11-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Obviously we must give him some kind of hand on the flop. Let's put his range as AT or similar, 2 pr, set, diamond draw.

OOP it's a tough spot on the flop as you are either ahead or have almost no chance of seeing a cheap showdown. On the turn, all of his range is ahead of us except the draw and why would he reopen the betting with such a small bet on a draw? He must be full or a complete donk. On the river, every hand in his range beats us.