Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Life After Death

"spiritual (whatever that is)."

Spiritual is anything that is immaterial, such as abstract ideas.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:38 PM

If you advocate a totally material basis for ideas, then nothing would ever really die or disappear or cease to exist. It would just be changed into a different state, like energy. We would be immortalized in the physical universe albeit not in our present form.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:41 PM

Can you elaborate? Is it that you think the possibility of God is really that low? Or do you have some reason to believe life after death is possible?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spiritual is anything that is immaterial, such as abstract ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting definition. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
... then nothing would ever really die or disappear or cease to exist. It would just be changed into a different state, like energy. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a fitting idea to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:55 PM

<font color="blue"> If you advocate a totally material basis for ideas, then nothing would ever really die or disappear or cease to exist. </font>

So are the abstract thoughts and ideas you had yesterday or 6 years ago, existing somewhere outside your mind right now? Or do they stay put in your brain until you die? What about the thoughts and ideas you've forgotten all about? Will they continue to exist as well, but apart from you the person who forgot about them?

Am I even understanding you right? You're saying that when YOU die, your thoughts and ideas live on (as well as new thoughts and ideas)? Or are you saying that old thoughts and ideas die, but you (whoever that is once your dead), will continue to maintain new thoughts and ideas?

This is a very complicated belief system. Have you heard this elsewhere, or is it your own?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate? Is it that you think the possibility of God is really that low? Or do you have some reason to believe life after death is possible?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, they are both low prossibilities. It's just that there are naturally occuring possibilties of "Life" after death that don't include a god. Everytime you include a god you include the possibility of life after death. So possibility of life after death is greater than that of a god, since life after death includes non god possibilities, as well as every god possibility.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 AM

If our thoughts are just electronic nerve impulses, then they are just a form of energy being used by the brain perhaps leaving an impression. Energy can change its states, so who knows where the thoughts go. My thought could be changed into the heat between Jessica Simpson's ass cheeks and thus attain immortality.

But I don't believe that the basis of thought is purely material. I believe universal ideas and concepts are maintained by the creator of the universe, just like our material existence is constantly maintained by the creator.

Some of what I was talking about previously is covered under the philosophical study of Epistemology. The rest of the [censored] I make up.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:44 AM

<font color="blue"> My thought could be changed into the heat between Jessica Simpson's ass cheeks and thus attain immortality. </font>

I love it! If they ever run a best quotes of 2005 on here, this one has got to be nominated!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:32 AM

Personally, I think you overestimate humans, I don't think we are that much different to animals.

I think we only think we are because of a limited capacity to understand ourselves.

Sure we can do some stuff we think is great, but is any of it really that significant in the scheme of things?

Your ideas on thoughts are interesting, but I would apply Occams Razor and assume thoughts are just our limited impression of the functioning of our brains, and when we die they stop.

If you meant to be really abstract and hippy, and meant that if you have the thought to create some art, and that it is still around after you have died and so you live on. Then Ok. But we know that isn't really being alive.