Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Nut low weak high river check

So I checked this river down with the lock low and a weak high...

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=173586

AND I QUARTERED THIS GUY! I pretty much feel like a poker tool for not having bet the river.

He was an unknown, but should I have put in a bet on the river since he had just been meekly calling? Pretend that you don't know the hand results yet when you answer that.

I suppose that the real key here involves knowing the player, but I had no read on this guy since he was new to the table. The hold 'em player in me is looking for a value bet here. Is there such a thing as a value bet in PLO8, when a lone opponent has just been meekly calling?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Nut low weak high river check

It's a hard way to say one way or the other.

This is an interesting hand.

The King putting a pair on board might be a scare card for him if he's playing high. Unless he's sandbagging and made a full house. And that would fit him checking the turn when the flush came.

You only have to be worried that he also has the nut low and a better high than you, and you are the one that is quartered. Then the King isn't a bad card for you--he's less likely to have a King in his hand I suppose. He sure didn't play the hand like someone who had a top set or nut flush. I suppose it is very possible he has a mediocre flush or low set full house. That would make sense.

All in all, I'd rather have two pair or better to put in a pot size bet with the nut low and try to force out one way hands. On this dangerous board, its very possible that you might be the one that is quartered. And he could do it practically on accident by beating your lowly pair of 4s. I can see Villain holding two mediocre spades or an underfull. Question is, would he have checked this both on the turn and on the river? Maybe, but not probable.

Overall, it's a great situation to put out a pot size bet. However, your cards arent able to back you up if you do get called. Your high isn't very good--I just dont see your 4s as being good here. Next time, though. You're really not wanting to be called here, and if you're raised--it'll be an unpleasant situation.