Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-14-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Results

This was a tough decision for me because on the one hand it was a chance to double through a bad player. On the other hand, it would be a stupid way to go broke.

He really could not have KQ or a bigger set. A player like this will not open-limp from the CO with a hand as strong as that. So, I wasn't folding.

The question was: is there a weaker hand he could have that would call a reraise by me? I mean, I am in the BB and I would be showing tremendous strength with that move... so he would have to put me on at least a 3.

I decided that if he also had a 3, he would have either bet the flop or raised the turn in most cases. Failing to do either rules out that hand.

He wouldn't raise that amount, in that fashion, on a bluff and he would have certainly bet the flop with an ace. I put him rather firmly on 2 pair... either Jacks up or tens and jacks.

So, would he call a reraise with those hands? Any reasonable player wouldn't. I decided to just call... but at the last second I realized that I had been taking a long time to figure out what to do and I noticed a look on his face that led me to believe that he had become convinced he had the best hand and was hoping for a call. I pushed.

He looked confused for a moment, but called me pretty quickly and mucked when I showed my 3.

At the next break he approached me and said that he made a huge mistake because he forgot that I was in the BB and that the pot was unraised. He said that he wasn't putting me on a 3 for that reason and that he had 10-J.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Some more from the WSOP Circuit Event

[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

But, I'm guessing these LAGs werent quite Flack caliber [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]?

If that was the case, I'd just try to run them over or go down trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, no not quite Flack caliber.

The problem is the short-stack structure of this tournament (only 1500 starting chips). So, any attempts to out-muscle these blokes would put my whole stack at risk, and I was doing OK by just picking my spots.

I managed to only get all-in twice in over 6 hours of play: this hand, and then my last hand. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

If the stacks were deep, and particularly if it were pot limit, I would be more likely to take your approach.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I decided that if he also had a 3, he would have either bet the flop or raised the turn in most cases. Failing to do either rules out that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused why you thought he would bet or raise with a 3 in his hand yet you thought a T was a possibility. Why would you think he would bet 3rd pair but not 2nd pair ATF? A LP non-bet ATF against the BB usually means air, monster, or a draw that fears a CR - no?

BTW - Good read, and nh sir.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused why you thought he would bet or raise with a 3 in his hand yet you thought a T was a possibility. Why would you think he would bet 3rd pair but not 2nd pair ATF? A LP non-bet ATF against the BB usually means air, monster, or a draw that fears a CR - no?

BTW - Good read, and nh sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players like this usually bet bottom when checked to them as sort of a semi-bluff. They don't mind taking the pot down, but if you call they figure they will just make two pair or a set later [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Middle pair makes them nervous because they really don't want to fold and they won't know where they are if they get called. It's just a pattern I've noticed from the type of crazy player that this guy is.

It was more of the combination of not betting the flop, and not raising the turn that convinced me he didn't have a 3.

As far as it being a good read, well, it actually hurt me. After I talked with him at the break and he confirmed that I put him on his exact hand and made a ballsy play to double through... I got overly confident about my ability to outplay him.

Instead of staying frosty, I felt like I was entitled to all of his chips. A few hours later he limped from late position and I pushed over the top of him with pocket 10's before giving adequate thought to what he was up to. The second after I pushed I realized that this hand felt different from several other hands in which he was involved. I acted on instinct, but my instinct was betraying me because it was based on how I felt about him in general and not how I felt about that particular hand. He "trapped" me with jacks a few tables from the money and I learned an expensive lesson from him. While I can appreciate the process of continued learning in this game, it really pisses me off that I can suck so bad sometimes.

Irieguy
Old 11-14-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I can appreciate the process of continued learning in this game, it really pisses me off that I can suck so bad sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - is there any experienced player who hasn't felt this way a few times?

Sorry for your ill-timed exit. Please stop by MTT more often.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CO who is an insane action junky who limps into 60% of the pots and raises with any pair

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
He really could not have KQ or a bigger set. A player like this will not open-limp from the CO with a hand as strong as that

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
A few hours later he limped from late position...with jacks a few tables from the money

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think your postplay conversation with the maniac changed his play towards you??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Nice read BTW
Old 11-14-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think your postplay conversation with the maniac changed his play towards you??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it had anything to do with our conversation... by that time it was push/fold for everybody else because of their short stacks and he had plenty of chips. I imagine he was just looking to induce a push from a shorty and leave himself a chance to get out of the way if a big stack got involved, too. I was relatively short at that time, and he took a while to decide that he was willing to race.

Irieguy