Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Lagging it up w/ 97s -- Take a free card?

Stars $109. Something like a 100 runners, its still fairly early and I'm sitting with 1200 chips. No reads on BB, we hadn't clashed yet. He has about 2500 in chips.

Blinds are 25/50.

I am dealt 9s7s in MP1 and raise to 150 because raising is fun. Folded to the BB who calls.

Flop is Kc 9c 8d. BB checks, I bet 200, he calls.

Turn is the 5s. BB checks. Pot is 725.

Should I take the free card here or bet? I was conflicted because I feel another bet could push him off a JT/pair of nines/pair of eights hand that he might have peeled the flop with, but it's going to cost me nearly half my stack.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Lagging it up w/ 97s -- Take a free card?

Without reads, its a little tougher, but most opponents besides the weak tight/calling station variety will bet with top pair. You might be behind to MPGK but if you are, a nice bet might force him off his hand. You also might be behind to a set, in which case you are in real trouble and only have 4 outs, but I'd discount that cuz most players would bet with a set on this draw heavy board.

Since you have 750 in your stack and the pot is 725, I'd take a shot at it and go all in, if he has TJ, he might fold here with only 1 card to see and probably thinks his jack or ten are no good, if he doesn't have the king, he probably folds too, I'd push this and represent the king trying to get rid of the draws. If you get called, you probably have some decent outs (2 9's, 3 7's, 4 6's, bout the same as a flush draw, unless he is chasing the flush draw or the straight draw, then you are ahead and don't want to see alot of those cards).