Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Verizon is the best but they still pissed me off. What\'s my play?

So like, I'm almost a year and a half into my contract and I want a new phone.

This new phone is $100.

Verizon has a "New Every Two" plan where you get $100 off a new phone every two years.

So, I pay for new phone now, and when my 2 year period is over, they give me $100 statement credit, right?

wrong.

They said I have to wait 7 months to upgrade phone or I forfeit my $100 bux. Totally lame.

So then I came up with a brilliant plan. I would help Verizon make MORE money by letting me upgrade now AND giving me the $100 statement credit. I told the effeminate sounding floor supervisor that I would upgrade to a price plan that was $10 higher (which I was going to do anyway... but he didn't know that... heh heh heh) which would make verizon $60 x 7 = $420 by the end of my 2 years. Under my current plan, they'd only make $50 x 7 = $350. They'd be making an extra $70 by letting me upgrade now and giving me the credit later.

They said no because it wouldn't be fair to offer that to me and not to other customers because they could get in trouble. I asked him why Verizon would be upset if he helped them make an extra $70.

He was a punk with no authority and his boss wasn't around so I gave up.

grrr.

This sucks. I want a new phone now... but it will cost me an extra $100 unless I wait 7 months. I cancelled my service with both Cingular and T-Mobile due to phone upgrade ripoffs... only thing stopping me from doing the same with Verizon is the fact that they are teh pwn service wise.

What's my play?
Old 11-04-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Verizon is the best but they still pissed me off. What\'s my play?

Buy a phone on eBay
Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 PM

eBay was my first stop.

Phone I want (Motorola E815) is $100 with Verizon and $200+ on eBay.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 AM

It's only $100 dollars, who [censored] cares?

What you should do is go out and buy a nice $500 phone. That'd be the right play.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:36 AM

You can usually upgrade after 22 months instead of 24 months. Some Verizon sales guys are more willing to make deals than others. Just go to a Verizon store and ask about the phones. Tell you really like phone X but you guess you have to wait until your 2 years is up. If they want to make a sale, they'll try for you. I've been with Verizon for 6 years now and they'll do favors for me. They can do more than they let on. Just find a less fem sales guy.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:31 AM

i always hate those deals where a new customer gets a great deal and the tried and true blue one gets nothing. att did that to me years ago with some deal where everyone new got a deal and i could too but they never told me. so after 20 plus years with them i went elsewhere and would never go back. so hows that for their smart marketing.
i need a new phone soon and they will want me to pay full retail when everyone else gets less. i may just pay off my contract and go elsewhere and get a deal from the competition. serves them right. sometimes principle is more important than the best decision.