Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-17-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Some hands from Festa Al Lago

Great Post

Hand #1 - Good hand report, tough to make too much of a comment

Hand #2 - Calling pre-flop would be standard for me for the same reasons MLG gave. Your mini-raise is very interesting and creative though

Hand #3 - Great flop bet and read of the players. If u know that they are gonna call this flop with NOTHING then your hand has gone way up in value...VG bet. River, I definitely understand your call

Hand #4 - I am not sure why u think an instant-push would scream AK or a draw. I think an instant push screams exactly QQ. Do u ever use your mini-raise in this spot? Doing it with a big hand or not much of one at all could be effective
Old 10-17-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain your reasoning on calling the river in hand 3. Your read of your opponent didn't seem to indicate he would bluff here. Did you think he would bet a worse Ace here?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this whole post, his cards seem to be the least important factor to him so I am going to guess that he thought it would help his table image.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain your reasoning on calling the river in hand 3. Your read of your opponent didn't seem to indicate he would bluff here. Did you think he would bet a worse Ace here?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this whole post, his cards seem to be the least important factor to him so I am going to guess that he thought it would help his table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your talking about the AJ hand I really don't think that's the reason he called.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Great Post....I had my $$$ on the right Horse...We'll get 'em next time
Old 10-18-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Suited is joking, but for the record, I would never call off half my stack on an "image" play.

Go back and read it again and try to image the rhythm of the hand. I played it in such a way that any ace would think they were good, and underpair might worry about missing out on value by not betting, and a busted draw would likely think that a strong river play would win the pot a fair amount of the time. Also, a real hand would be afraid of not getting a call by betting too much... so I think I allowed myself a chance to capture all the bluffs and weak value plays without risking having to make a call for it all.

I tend to not put my opponents on running flush draws in a raised pot with an ace and a pair on the board, and heavy flop action... so I literally never considered that he made a club flush. THAT opponent has a weaker ace, an underpair, and a 5 (in that order) most of the time.

Irieguy
Old 10-18-2005, 02:17 AM

hand 1: this seems awful. on the turn, there is over 3000 in the pot. you have less than 2500 chips left. your turn plan is a terrible one because you gave him a chance to just push all-in and shut you out of the hand, which is what he'll do most of the time. also, if he has some kind of showdownable hand, which he'll have most of the time, you're making it easy for him to call a river bet after it goes check-check on the turn because it's easier to believe that you just gave up on your bluff on the turn, or had a straight draw. i think you got real lucky that it worked out here.

hand 2: [ QUOTE ]
He raised to 1200 and I instantly min-raised him.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? terrible. is there any chance in the world that you don't have a monster hand here? i think you just got lucky that TJ is an idiot because there's no way he should have gone bust to you here.

hand 3: the key is whether he is the type to not understand the value of hands and check-raise you on the turn with a worse hand. i think most of the time this type of player is passive enough where you can fold to a turn check-raise. if this is the case, you are missing out on a lot of value here because if he has an ace he will call on the turn and the river.

hand 4: crazy asian dude doesn't sound so crazy. obviously no crazy asian dude is laying down here so it seems your read must have been pretty off. even if your read is right, though, it is probably better to call. obviously you are not folding no matter what, so i'm assuming that asian dude is going to fire big on the turn no matter what comes, with hands like complete air or bottom pair, both of which he'll probably fold if you push now. of course, he might have one or more overcards and draw out to beat you, but i think this possibility is not large enough to warrant shutting him out from dumping his chips to you on the turn.

adios: 2K is not big enough. the raiser is getting better than 3-1 and even better than that if he knows british guy is coming too. if i were the raiser i would call with any pair. also, i'm not thrilled about seeing a flop heads up with 1.5x pot in my stack, with AK, against an unbluffable fish. you are basically forced to push the flop no matter what comes, and he will call with any piece of it. i would rather him fold, or if he wants to go all in preflop i'm fine with that too. also, british is going to act first on the flop. what do you do if he bets at you when you miss? this is a position that i'd rather not be in.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Adios, Festa al Lago

[/ QUOTE ]

you want to say "ciao" here
Old 10-18-2005, 07:06 AM

Nice Report Irieguy. I hope you post here more often. I always enjoy your stuff. Very well thought out.

Hand 1 Ballsy. I like it alot. You do need one hell of a read. An only live play situation. I have only played with a few guys live I think I could pull this off against.

Hand 2 I really like this. I know the mini-raise looks really strange. But, I think that TJ is such a good player that he easily gets away from AK post flop. Where your going to get him is pre-flop. He thinks he has you killed so he is looking to get all of his chips in there. On a missed flop he can think you have some sort of garbage and out-flopped him.

Hand 3 Bleh, I would have vomited all over the table after he showed me that. You probably should have charged him on the turn. Even though it would have cost you more chips, because you know he would have called.

Hand 4 Wow, that is a good laydown. Your only raise though is All-in. You could call and then push his turn bet. Looks like he had a pretty good read and was raising for information on that flop.

Hand 5 Thus, is the poker.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 AM

i saw this whenever you posted it, and for some reason, didnt feel like reading one of the few "good" posts.

Well anyway, i got aroudun to reading it now

Hand1: Very nice read, i'm 95% sure i wouldn't have done this, and it's something i wish i had in my game as my first live tournament will be pretty soon.

Hand 2: I don't get how the 'instant' miniraise is going to get the max value out of the hand. You'd get more than that by just calling and raising his C-bet that's coming. And it's not like that minraise looks really weak, if he pushes over the top of that, he's gonna push over the top of a real raise. So i think you either make a real raise to like 3000+, though if you think he'll fold to that, i like calling and raising the flop too.

hand 3: I don't think a hand worse than yours would check raise the turn, and then you can check behind on the river, and it's the same price (or cheaper), but you charge him for his draws, give him a chance to fold. But with your line, i think you should call the river. I was shocked when you said he had the flush. (Well probably mostly because i didnt know a flush was possible [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Hand 4: I think instant re-raises like that scare people more than entice them.. i don't like your play.. well i duunno if the difference between 'instant' and 'normal' would make him call, because your raise isn't all that big and i'd expect him to call either way. (you have 9k right?)
I'm just rambling now, but i also like calling and raising his turn bet. I think either are fine here.

Next Hand: Tough break.

Good little report.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Suited is joking, but for the record, I would never call off half my stack on an "image" play.

Go back and read it again and try to image the rhythm of the hand. I played it in such a way that any ace would think they were good, and underpair might worry about missing out on value by not betting, and a busted draw would likely think that a strong river play would win the pot a fair amount of the time. Also, a real hand would be afraid of not getting a call by betting too much... so I think I allowed myself a chance to capture all the bluffs and weak value plays without risking having to make a call for it all.

I tend to not put my opponents on running flush draws in a raised pot with an ace and a pair on the board, and heavy flop action... so I literally never considered that he made a club flush. THAT opponent has a weaker ace, an underpair, and a 5 (in that order) most of the time.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with your assessment of what hands bet half their stack on the river. What underpairs make a value bet into a pfr on a paired board with two overcards and three to the flush? What busted draws are there on a A55 rainbow flop? I think a weaker ace check calls or makes a smaller bet not wanting to chase away QQ or similar.

With that said it is next to impossible to put your opponent on a flush as his flop call was quite horrible.