Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 02:47 PM

Default deal making on Poker Stars(nc)

Probably an old boring topic but the search function is somebody's twisted idea of a joke.

I've been playing almost exclusively on Party.I just recently started playing MTTs on Poker Stars. I am not familiar with the deal making option available there. I am used to Party's steep structure and always playing for a top 3 finish. I've had two top 18 finishes at Poker Stars. I think my higher level of aggresion got me in trouble both times. Well, not recognizing the tightness of villian is what really got me in trouble.

It seems that many players who had stacks around the FT average were just sitting on their stacks and waiting(some were even sitting out). I would never consider this in a Party tournament.

How prevalent is the deal making at PS final tables?

Do you adjust your play to play for a deal?

It seemed that many of the players were very familiar with each other. If you just hang around for a deal are you going to get frozen out by 5 or 6 players only playing against you?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: deal making on Poker Stars(nc)

[ QUOTE ]
Probably an old boring topic but the search function is somebody's twisted idea of a joke.

I've been playing almost exclusively on Party.I just recently started playing MTTs on Poker Stars. I am not familiar with the deal making option available there. I am used to Party's steep structure and always playing for a top 3 finish. I've had two top 18 finishes at Poker Stars. I think my higher level of aggresion got me in trouble both times. Well, not recognizing the tightness of villian is what really got me in trouble.

It seems that many players who had stacks around the FT average were just sitting on their stacks and waiting(some were even sitting out). I would never consider this in a Party tournament.

It seemed that many of the players were very familiar with each other. If you just hang around for a deal are you going to get frozen out by 5 or 6 players only playing against you?

[/ QUOTE ]

deals usually happen, but ive never seen people (the good players at least) sit out with 18 left. the big money is still in the top 3, whether you chop or not
Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: deal making on Poker Stars(nc)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part I never think about a deal until it gets 3 handed. Even then I rarely deal. On PokerStars you will find that many regular tournament players know each other quite well. They end up together late in a lot of tournaments. . .but it's definitely not the case that you would be frozen out b/c you are an "unknown". .these guys want to bust everyone just as much as you.

Deals at PS final tables really aren't all that prevalent though, other than the big Sunday tourney and maybe a few rebuy chops here and there. . .

Also, the reason that many players play tight around the bubble is b/c they expect people to play uber aggressive and spew chips in an attempt to make the top 3 payouts (no offense).