Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Big Blind Defense Question

I had AJo in the big blind twice this weekend and it busted me out of both tournaments when I defended the blind with that hand. The raises were from mid-position, we were not on the bubble. They were both at stars- one in a $10 rebuy after the rebuy and one in a $50. I was an average stack. Which leads to my question:

What hands do you defend your big blind with, assuming that you play pretty tight?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Big Blind Defense Question

It really, really depends on a lot of things, like where the raise is coming from, whether the raiser is short-stacked, and what type of player is involved. AJ is a tricky hand; in some situations it would be a no-brainer to defend your blind, and in other situations it would be crazy.

If the raise is not coming from a steal position, and the stacks are fairly normal, I normally wouldn't defend with AJ. On the other hand, if the raiser has been stealing a lot and you can put him on a wider range, it's fine to play back at him. This is one reason why you need to keep a close eye on your table and see who is raising more than normal.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Big Blind Defense Question

yea, from a MP raise i'm folding AJ...

CO/Button though and i'm reraising.

Also depends on my stack size (and the raiser's) if i'm low, or he is, i'll be a little more lenient with it..