Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Default 87s flop top two on a highly coordinated board

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (19.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

BB hadn't made any impression on me at all. He just seemed like your normal 2/4 player. plays a little loose and slightly passive, but I hand't noticed him at all during the session, he was just kinda there

MP1 could've had anything. All I know is that he has two cards, and possibly a piece of this board in some way or another

where should I have slowed down. once the river paired the board I figured that there was no real way that I had this hand won and that if it were HU I could call, but I didn't feel that I could overcall here
Old 08-19-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: 87s flop top two on a highly coordinated board

With 1 limper at a 7 handed table, I'm folding this preflop.

You cap the flop and he still leads the turn, why would you raise? I'd go into calldown mode on the turn unless I improved. Fold the river.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:47 PM

the table had generally been seeing 5 or 6 to a flop, that's why I limped
Old 08-19-2005, 05:55 PM

BB does seem to love his hand. 64, 96, and 55 are some hands to worry about on the turn, along with, say, A8/A7/A5, and 88/77 can't be completely ruled out.

However, 66, 99, 76, 98, 75, 85, 65, A9 and A6 are some other possibilities, as is another 87.

BB might be less inclined to play some of the connectors with bigger gaps that I mentioned if they're not suited, which limits the chances that he holds them, somewhat. But a lot of people make loose calls in the big blind at 2/4.

I might have slowed down on the turn, but I don't know if that's best, and the presence of the third guy should add some value to your raise, those times that you're ahead.

The river card is a bad one for you, but I would probably overcall. I've seen a lot of people fire all the way, despite facing resistance, with a weak made hand plus a draw at 2/4. And I think you're quite likely ahead of MP1, even though he called. (However, a hand like AT is an annoying possibility.)
Old 08-19-2005, 07:01 PM

Looks like he either flopped a straight or set by the way he played it. I'd be a little worried after he led the turn after you capped the flop. If you would've just called down it would have only cost you 2bb to see a showdown with what is most likely a losing hand, but since you raised it cost you three bets and forced you to make a tough fold on the river which cost you the whole pot if you actually had the best hand. Plus if he happened to be playing a strong draw like this he'd be more likely to make a desperation bluff on the river if you hadn't raised him on the turn.