Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Default JJ hand #1

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 5 BB

utg was a little too loose, and tried to play well, button was passive and would call down with lots of hands, BB was tight and nor real aggressive

my reason for not raising PF was that I would be completely OOP for the rest of the hand I didn't have a chance to get this HU with a PF raise. THe button's check on the turn made me feel that I had the best hand still and bet the river
Old 08-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: JJ hand #1

I would raise preflop to get try to get the bb out and take the lead. The way you played it I think I agree with you about the river.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:10 PM

I think you still have to raise this preflop. You had the chance to possibly knock out the BB who could have hit his hand for free by being able to limp in. Yea, your position sucks, but you have a premium hand.
Checking the turn, pretty much told the villain you didn't have a K or Q unless he thought you were setting him up for a check/raise. What was your plan if the villain bet the turn? Call down?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my reason for not raising PF was that I would be completely OOP for the rest of the hand I didn't have a chance to get this HU with a PF raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude....you had Jacks....

What does getting it HU have anything to do with it?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Raise PF for value.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Raise preflop. I'd also bet this turn for value since you said that button is essentially a calling station. He could be calling you down with a 6, 4, smaller pocket pair, flush draw, or even A high, in which case you don't want to give a free card. I'd check the river after I bet the turn since if villian has weak K, he's likely to check behind anyway. This way, you don't give a free card when you're ahead, but gain/lose the same amount as your current line.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:54 PM

<font color="purple">Raise preflop. I usually bet the turn and fold to a raise or check-fold the river if he calls the turn.</font>
Old 08-14-2005, 02:54 PM

raise it pf no matter what position.

I fire again on the turn. if he's really loose I value bet the river too.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Your raise PF doesn't have to be to get it heads up. You have an equity edge here against 3 opponents and your raise makes money for that reason.

That being said, I don't see why you would check the turn. I wouldn't slow down until I had a reason to, and this certainly isn't one.

You say Button is passive, but is he tight passive or loose passive? If he's loose, value bet the river, otherwise a check may be better.