Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-13-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Simple preflop situation: UTG raise, min reraise.

[ QUOTE ]
. . .Can it be right to fold KK to a mininimum reraise? If I call, how should I play on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen people push preflop with KK without a second thought. If you run into aces, so be it. AA vs. KK preflop doesn't happen often. You wait all night for a hand like this. Villain 2 is probably just trying to get heads up with you. He doesn't have to have aces to make this play. I'd move in and hope for a call.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the range of hands with which you would reraise an UTG raise?
KK is behind the range with which I would reraise an UTG raise, particularly if the UTG player is tight. I usually just call with QQ and AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the opponent your twin??

If not, if he was the usual SSNLHE player, go ahead and play the hand man.

The weak tighness is spreading.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Simple preflop situation: UTG raise, min reraise.(Results.)

[ QUOTE ]
Online NL, 9-handed.

Hero (UTG) has the table covered, and has been playing tightly.
Villain 1 (UTG+1) has 22 BB, and seems pretty loose.
Villain 2 (MP2) has 32 BB. No read.
Most players have 80+ BB.

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop:
Hero raises to 4 BB. Villain 1 calls. 1 fold. Villain 2 raises to 7 BB. All fold to the hero. Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero pushes. Villain 1 folds. Villain 2 calls 25 BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero wins with a flush.
Villain 2 tilts off 50+ BB in the next two orbits, giving another 30 BB to Hero.

I pushed in part because I thought it was likely that Villain 2 was raising with something like QQ because Villain 1 is likely to have worse. QQ may not be a favorite against the range of hands I have, but if I will push with anything better than QQ and just call with anything worse, someone with QQ gets a lot of information from the minreraise. If Villain 2 has QQ and Villain 1 has Ax, it's a potential disaster to let them see the flop (without getting the money in first). However, in retrospect, I think it was very likely that I was just making life easy for someone with AA.

If the stacks were deeper, I would be happy with the suggestion some posters made of calling, then playing poker. With only a pot-sized bet left, I didn't think I would learn enough from the flop. On a low flop, someone with QQ will still like his hand, and I'll still be behind AA.

Since I wasn't happy with either option, I decided to post the hand. It was interesting to see that some people think this is an obvious push, and some think it is clear to call.

Thanks for the suggestion made by two people to raise more hands UTG. However, that doesn't help me in this hand. Also, despite the fact that I usually limp with JJ or AQ or worse, I usually have no problem getting action when I raise UTG. If people were folding too much, it would make more sense to raise with weaker hands. Since they call too much, I want to play hands good enough to play out of position after showing strength. So far, my results from EP have been quite positive.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the range of hands with which you would reraise an UTG raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the opponent your twin??

[/ QUOTE ]
You didn't answer the question. Would you reraise when a tight player raises UTG with JJ? With AK? If you wouldn't (and I think it would be a huge mistake with JJ), then KK is at best even with the hands against which you would reraise.

KK is a great hand before anyone shows any strength. It isn't a great hand after someone reraises an UTG raise. Similarly, TPTK is a great hand before a bet and a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
The weak tighness is spreading....

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I'm a tight-weak player. If so, I'm a tight-weak player who just snapped off multi-street bluffs in 200 BB pots with AK unimproved and 66 unimproved, and averages a loss of only 7 BB/100 from the blinds (+30BB/100 after posting). Applying such a label is a poor substitute for analysis.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Simple preflop situation: UTG raise, min reraise.(Results.)

i have played at tables where people reraised me with 22. the best part is that they often call my push as well. i have also played at tables where i will call a push with jj(very rare, but it happens). however, i don't remember ever considering folding kk after i was re-raised once preflop. what level is this at? i think you are looking at this backwards. you say you don't have a very good read on your opponent, and yet you are afraid that kk is no good. i think that you need to have a good read to be afraid that kk is no good. good push. i think that a call or a reraise can be correct. on short stacks, they pretty much amount to the same thing anyways.