Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2004, 02:14 AM

Default SIT N GO theory works

Getting in a couple of hrs of multitabling some N30's and 50's tonight when I notice I am dealt 4 cards on the first hand of the game.

Great I signed up for a PL Omaha 8 SNG. 3/4 of the table sounds like they are regulars talking about the good old days when the games were soft and lamenting how we had 9 players left on level 4.

Well I have never played PL Omaha or PL Omaha 8 in MY LIFE!!!!

I have played a tiny bit of microlimit limit Omaha 8, and I understand startting hand values in a 10-handed game and a little about the usual type of winning hands. but I have no idea about Pot Limit or shorthanded strategy.

i just played strong starting hands and used appropriate SNG bubble strategy regarding rasing preflop and picking on particular stacks..and guess what..I cashed!

In fact I WON! Just basic strategy for a NL SNG, with a tiny amount of knowlege about limit Omaha 8.

Hello SixFeatUnder,
You requested a transcript of Tournament #7974696.

Summary
----------
Played on : 17 December 2004 11:46 PM
On Table : Table 11930
Game Type : Omaha Hi/Lo
Buy-In : $30
Fee : $3
You finished in position 1
1st place - SixFeatUnder - $150
2nd place - too22too - $90
3rd place - blond_monstr - $60

I do not think I'll be playing anymore of them though. just thought it was interesting.

MrX
Old 12-18-2004, 02:32 AM

Default Re: SIT N GO theory works

Very cool, you should stop so you can say you're undefeated in PLO8 SnGs.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:43 AM

What exactly is this magic sit-n-go theory?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:52 AM

lol, I've had similar experiences. I got 2nd when I tried some $30 limit sng, and I also got 1st when I played a PL holdem game. On stars, I tried some heads up sngs, and did a PL omaha, and a limit omaha 8/b and won both of those lol. The SADDEST part of when I played a limit sng, is that I didn't even notice it was limit until about 30 hands into it, I was dealt AK, and someone raised, and I tried to go allin, and I was like, wtf? When you're multitabling and not playing many hands, it's hard to notice some stuff like that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. All though I looked at some of my notes and wrote down like "raised minimum utg with AK, lol"
Old 12-18-2004, 04:18 AM

MrX, have to admit I laughed out loud reading your post, as I have found myself in the same situation. Expecting two cards, and being dealt 4 - or, wondering why everyone is only betting such small amounts to only discover I am in a Limit game.

I agree with your assessment, in the 3 times this has happened to me, I have finished ITM two times using same said theory (2nd both times, 4th in the 3rd game). Alas, I think it's more patience and luck that brought us disguised confidence. I wouldn't bank on it, or begin the tour of Omaha HL.

The only positive I can take from these experiences is that I pay much more attention to the tables I'm attempting to open.

Scuba
Old 12-18-2004, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, I've had similar experiences. I got 2nd when I tried some $30 limit sng, and I also got 1st when I played a PL holdem game. On stars, I tried some heads up sngs, and did a PL omaha, and a limit omaha 8/b and won both of those lol. The SADDEST part of when I played a limit sng, is that I didn't even notice it was limit until about 30 hands into it, I was dealt AK, and someone raised, and I tried to go allin, and I was like, wtf? When you're multitabling and not playing many hands, it's hard to notice some stuff like that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. All though I looked at some of my notes and wrote down like "raised minimum utg with AK, lol"

[/ QUOTE ]

It is like I am reading an exact copy of my own experience here. About once evry 300 SNG's I seem to misclick and join a limit tourney. Invariably I don't have a rasiable hand til level 3 and wonder where my slider bar went! Then I laugh out loud when I ususally have a note that says "plays like it is limit" on 1-2 players at the table, which is my code in a nL SNG for min raises and min bets..LOL

Regarding SNG theory that someone asked about..a 4 line nutshell would be:

Supertight early, possibly gettting lucky and doubling up on a monster, but you are not going to play many hands in lev 1-3.

Later, employing the "gap principle" and increasing the "gap" to initially uncomfortable levels.

A thourogh undertsanding of pot odds, especially when you are "forced" to call a preflop raise for your remaining chips.

Psychology of the bubble and how medium sized stacks behave when attacked when there are some tiny stacks left which are near elimination.

Regarding the PLO8 specifically, it lasted about 80 minutes and seemed more of a crapshoot than NL Hold em SNG's. I find it impossible to believe that the PLO8 SNG's could be as profitable on an hourly basis as NL Hold em.

MrX
Old 12-19-2004, 06:42 PM

Motivated by your post, I tried an O8 tournament. I did everything that you are supposed to do early in a tournament; played every hand and chased both low and high draws. Of course, I won (it took me awhile to figure out where my slider went so I could go all-in). I should have quit with my perfect record, but didn't. I played another one and found out, when I had the nut low with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board that in Omaha you can only use three cards off the board. I thought I was going to scoop, but instead I split (I learned Omaha-speak also). I finished 8th. Talk about dumb luck.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:56 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think this post puts a smile on the face of everyone who reads it. We've all done somthing like that, and sign up for a wrong tourney. Good thing you made this "oops" into a $30 not a $10. Think of all the money you would have lost!

And its great to see how playing your solid NLHE gameplan worked out. I guess you get dealt the best hand the same amount of times, no matter what the game is. Its still poker, right?

Lifetime 355% ROI player at O/8. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 07:01 PM

I remember reading a few weeks ago about someone who signed up for a $200+15 instead of $20+2 by mistake.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:00 AM

i accidently entered a 20+2 limit Hold'em SnG.

like someone said above, i didn't notice till lvl3 when i was heads up w/the nut flush draw and my opponent was just betting the min. i called to the river when i hit my flush. i then realized i was at limit when i couldnt bet 1/3 pot.

after that, i became annoyed. i thought the limit tourny was going to take a long time. i became a lag, and capped every street. people folded in the beginning, then played when they realized i was capping with just top 40% hands.

and i got REALLY lucky and won. when you raise/re-raise/re-reaise/cap on every street, you're basically all in.

it turned out to be the quickest SNG I've won.