Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Soaring Eagle Trip Report

Mount pleasant Michigan

11-11-05

I was looking for a trip report so I could know what to expect when I got there. I was not able to find much so I hope this is of some help to someone.

Last time I played in the poker room was the day before it closed for back in 2003. So I get there not expecting much. I was surprised to find the room packed. They have about 18 games running. The list are massive and 2 tables are empty?? I guess they were out of dealers. They spread EIGHT 3-6 games THREE 6-12 games TWO 10-20 games (deep stacks) ONE 3-6 OMAHA EIGHT and a few stud games. I guess people still play 7 cards stud??

So I put my name on the list for 6-12 and 3-6 Omaha 8 at about 7PM and I mull around for a while. Eventually one of the 3-6 Omaha8 players walk up and to the brush and says: “We got a play-over” So I go take it.

The average age of my table was about 72. (Why do old people like Omaha 8 so much? Anyone know?) The table is a dream- 9 see the flop no one ever raises pre flop, one bet on every street, then showdown. I post in my first hand, call one bet on the flop and check it to the river and get quartered. (now I am up $2 weeeeee!) at least its better than waiting on the rail. About 20 minutes later a guy takes the playover on my left and posts behind the button. He is a young fellow, so the average table age goes down to 68. When he gets his hand he protests mis-deal and he has 4 cards. Oh great here we go. The dealer says this is Omaha. I give him a quick explanation on the game, but I don’t plan on discussing the finer points of the game. About 10 hands in he calls the river bet and show me his hand and asks: I have the worst hand right? First thing I think is oh crap I don’t want to help this guy, one player to a hand yada yada yada, then I look at it HAND : A 2 3 4 board 8 8 7 K Q. I say yes that is the worst hand but you are not going to get any money for it, seriously guy as much as I am sure everyone wants you here, find a hold’em table.

I leave my play-over and mull around for a while. I finally get called for my game at 10PM. I was on the list for 3 hours to play 6-12. I play a few hands and then 2 people go to dinner one guys busts and 3 more rack up and leave. There are still about 30 names on the 6-12 list but I am not worried. We play a few hands
Short handed and I make a set and bust a guy when it cracks his aces. We are now 3 handed and the brush is slowly calling 3 hour old names and giving each name 5 minutes to take his seat. We ask for a rake reduction and the brush says no. We say screw this we are not playing 3 handed 6-12 with a $5 rake. So we all decide to take a break. This was an interesting site. The poker room is packed with people there is a 3 hour wait to get a seat and we shut down a table because there are not enough players. After 20 minutes the game fills up.

I found the action to be exactly what I like to see in a poker game 50% bad players and 50% good players. (half the table know when to fold the other half does not) (half the table till play 74 suited under the gun other half folds it in the small blind.)

Overall the action was really good, the $5 rake sucked, but there was enough money in play to overcome it. There was a list of about 50 people on the 3-6 list, I am sure most people went home before their name was called. The poker boom is still strong up there.

I booked a $28 win, and filled my gas tank, then went home.

Jdoe
Old 11-13-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Soaring Eagle Trip Report

I'm sorry about your bad experience, but I really enjoyed your report.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ty
Old 11-14-2005, 12:38 AM

It was not that *BAD*

We just have to remember its Mid-Michigan not Las Vegas
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the report. I don't live in Michigan, but the upstate rooms of Michigan and Wisconsin tend to be populated by locals who are pretty good players (in the 10/20 games, in which I play). I no longer go up there. I go to Detroit...I need the money. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Mount pleasant Michigan

11-11-05

I was looking for a trip report so I could know what to expect when I got there. I was not able to find much so I hope this is of some help to someone.
LARGELY SNIPPED........................
I booked a $28 win, and filled my gas tank, then went home.

Jdoe

[/ QUOTE ]