Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Handling the first downswing

I have come to realize that downswings are invitable, and that I was probably due, since I had an amazing September. HOwever, I am having trouble coming to grips with it. Any suggestions? I was up to about 1000 playing 25nl, went to 50 nl, was fluctating, not winning but not losing, and then lost and am down to 750 in the roll and have lowered limits. I play some SnGs and have had success, but I know there is more potential in cash games. Suggestions?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Handling the first downswing

Hey,
Just keep thinking about the game, analysing your plays, and making sure that you are making good decisions. Try not to allow your style to change because you are thinking about the downswing - I tend to get more passive when I'm running bad because I _know_ I'll not win money with AK so why raise it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

How have you lost the money? A string of lost all-ins? Just slowly drained away?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 PM

I little of everything...cracked aces, 2 all in one outers hurt, a little of tilt, cont bet issues. You name it it happened
Old 10-21-2005, 07:06 PM

Focus on the issues you're having. For example, in a recent downswing i had, it seemed that everytime I bet out on the flop with TPTK I was getting check-raised. i wasn't sure what to do - sometimes calling down, sometimes pushing, sometimes folding almost at random. Having concentrated on that situation I feel I now know how to handle it better.