Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Pimp slapped!

Hi Toast:

When a new book is published, there will be plenty of discussion of it here no matter what its quality. My reference is to a direct advertising post from the author or publisher.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Toast:

When a new book is published, there will be plenty of discussion of it here no matter what its quality. My reference is to a direct advertising post from the author or publisher.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, then let me rephrase my issue. I not only want to know that a new book exists and what users here think of it -- I want to know that if I have questions about the book, the author will see my question and possibly answer it. If you forbid an author for posting the fact that he wrote a book because you think the book sucks, you have provided ME a disservice. My only point is that a post here by an author that he wrote a new book should almost never be deleted if its only done once and with correct intentions, no matter how bad you think the book is. It is clear that this approach is a fair one, and Mark clearly believed that, based on King Yao's recent "advertisement" of his own book as well as perhaps the RGP rule that you can advertise your site once, that he was OK in sending the message he did. I know he regrets it now, and I will certainly seek permission from you before I advertise my book when complete, but I think this approach is not necessarily in the best interests of your customers.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 PM

Hi Toast:

1. twopolustwo.com is not RGP and our rules are very different.

2. Our guidelines clearly state no advertising posts can be initiated. So if you as the author want to announce your book, you'll need to get permission from us.

3. It's also our policy to allow authors to answer any questions that others might have about their book. (For example, right now Barry Tannebaum has been responding to questions and discussion about WLLH. While he's not exactly the author, what he is doing is what we allow and encourage.) However, this can get out of hand too and we will watch it when it occurs.

You need to understand that these are decisions which we made years ago. They have worked very well for our site and we see no reason to change them.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Toast:

1. twopolustwo.com is not RGP and our rules are very different.

2. Our guidelines clearly state no advertising posts can be initiated. So if you as the author want to announce your book, you'll need to get permission from us.

3. It's also our policy to allow authors to answer any questions that others might have about their book. (For example, right now Barry Tannebaum has been responding to questions and discussion about WLLH. While he's not exactly the author, what he is doing is what we allow and encourage.) However, this can get out of hand too and we will watch it when it occurs.

You need to understand that these are decisions which we made years ago. They have worked very well for our site and we see no reason to change them.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood. Thanks for the clarification -- and I think your rules are, indeed, reasonable and, obviously, successful.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: My book: \"Professional Poker\"

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

You are free to discount what I am about to write for any reason you choose, but all I can tell you is that it is the absolute truth as I know it.

I wrote that quoted reference to your publishing company for two reasons and two reasons only:

1) In writing a book that attempts to teach people how to make money at poker, I felt the need to guide my readers toward other books that would be quite helpful in this pursuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's taking bets on whether offence will be taken by use of the word 'quite'?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:05 PM

Mason,

Maybe a template could be made for authors with new books out. They would have to request it from you and fill in the blanks. "Insert author name here" and "Insert book title here" type of stuff. You could include disclaimers like:

**Two Plus Two Publishing's LLC does not indorse this book or it's author......

This way the public would be made aware of a new poker book available and what ever information you care to include.

As for the attempted compliment from Balde, maybe you could show a little more professionalism to other professionals in your field by starting a comment like that in a situation like that with, "While I appreciate the gesture, I think you have a lot of nerve..." Having said that, I appreciate your no BS approach in your posts and opinions of others and their work.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 AM

Default I read it

I read the book and it was alright, however there were some extremely annoying things about the book. Every other page he is promoting his second and third books. I am not joking, I didn't count, but there must be 50 plugs for books that are not even out yet. Very annoying!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: I read it

do we know what his other books are going to cover?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: I read it

yeah,

I know because it was drilled into my head.....

2 is strategy, 3 is mental (psychology)
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: My book: \"Professional Poker\"

I think the book was well written and rather entertaining.
But for me I found nothing that I hadn't read before or figured out on own with common sense.

It feels like the book is written for very inexperienced players who are thinking about turning pro. (I guess there are some of those out there.)

There is one thing that I found very annoying with the book. In very many places there are "you can read about this in my next book or book 3". If it had been written once, fine, but I think there are about 10 different places with something like that.
From markblade.com you can see that the following books are due in january and april of 2006.

So in summary I like his writing style and hope his following books are more "advanced". Not sure if I learned anything from the book, but can't say that I regret that I bought it either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]