Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Some pocket KK losers

Not always, it depends on the board and the player. I did look at some of my losers with big wired pairs and I doubled up sets quite a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 06:08 PM

Implied odds against you are enormous! I don't think you have to bet so much to make it wrong for them to call you with a draw. You want them to call with a draw when it's wrong to, according to "The Fundamental Theorem of Poker" anyway. Also, you can save a lot of money that way when you are behind. This goes for the flop and turn.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Implied odds against you are enormous! I don't think you have to bet so much to make it wrong for them to call you with a draw. You want them to call with a draw when it's wrong to, according to "The Fundamental Theorem of Poker" anyway. Also, you can save a lot of money that way when you are behind. This goes for the flop and turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this so far. So how much to bet to make it incorrect for opponent to draw? please, explain.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM

1. I think you bet too much on the turn. The flop pot is ok, but unless you know this is a tricky player that will pull a big cr bluff, the same effect comes from a bet of 10-15. I find it hard to believe that he'll push with a hand that you beat at that point, and you're not as pot committed so you have a chance to fold. That being said, I lose my stack here more often than not.

2. Four players in the hand. One calls your pot bet. I check behind on the turn because I see more hands that beat you calling here than ones you beat. Keep the pot small with one pair against most players. Let him bet a worse hand into you on the river, or if he river checks you can get as decent value bet where you're pretty sure you're ahead. He really screams set from the flop on.

3. This board is the most drawful and it's the one you don't pot. Especially against four player i'd advocate a much bigger bet here. If you pot it here on the flop, you'll have $60 in the middle and the villain with $75. I'd be comfortable pushing that turn. This does look like some sort of draw, as a set raises here because of the draw.

4. That's about as much as villian can do to try to tell you he has aces. I'd have had to see him play them the same one before, before I fold kings. I'm not sure that ever folding KK at PPNL50 is +EV in the long run, you'd be wrong too many times imo. Getting KK vs AQ preflop is not a 'loser' btw.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:16 PM

So my preflop bets are fine and I just need to slow down on the flop turn and river?

ANd this will cut down on their implied odds? Even when they do get implied odds, it seems like they should miss their hand once in awhile.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:30 PM

In general your big turn bets are bad news. Basically you are ensuring that worse hands will fold and better hands will stack you. You should try leading for less or checking in these spots instead.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:47 PM

It's kind of hard for him jamming the hell out of the pot. You can make a loose call on the flop when the odds aren't in your favor if you can expect him to jam the turn a big percentage of the time. But if you have a hand and you figure your opponent is on a draw then you figure the odds of him getting the card he needs and bet enough to make the pot odds unfavorable. If you bet to much he will fold and not make a mistake. If you don't bet enough he will call correctly. Of course NL complicates things a bit more with implied odds but you get the idea.