Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Small stakes hold em, boredom, seeing the flop, and pot size

I have been playing before the flop the small stakes way. In a full ring game, there are not many hands you can call with. So, I am dealt such hands as: 7-2 off, 6-9 off, K-8off, 3-9 off. I fold and fold and fold some more. Finally, I get a playable hand K-J offsuit. However, someone UTG has raised. Ed Miller says, "Play very tightly if someone has raised in front of you." I am most likely dominated in this spot so I fold here. I get some more cards: 6-10 off, 32-off,I FOLD AND FOLD AND FOLD SOMEMORE. Wait I finally get another playable hand. K-Q off. However, someone has raised UTG and someone else has reraised. I am dominated so I have to fold. I keep folding and pick up a suited ace. Someone raises. However, you cannot call a raise with a suited ace.
I keep going and pick up Q-J no one raises so I finally get to see a flop. I miss it completely. It is a very small pot. Someone bets. Mr. Miller says, "Play tight in small pots." So, I fold.
I think I get it. You are not going to see many flops because most of the time you are going to be dealt a dog hand. When you finally get to see a flop, many times you will miss it completely and the pot will be small, so you have to fold. HELL, I do not know about you guys, but I get pretty bored not seeing many flops. When I do get in there I am ready to ATTACK simply because I have not seen a flop in the last 30 minutes. I am ready to be agressive. So it all kind of fits together. You play tight preflop and loose post flop(if the pot is large). Mr Malmuth says that most books have it the opposite. They are too loose pre flop and too tight postflop!