Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Can you lay down KK pre-flop in NL cash game?

$3-5 blinds, I have about $650. UTG+1 look down to find K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pretty aggressive table, I limp. MP raises to $30, gets 2 callers (cutoff & button). Back to me. I make it $150 to go. Raiser (villain) goes all in for $507 total, folded back to me for $357 more to call.

I looked at villain who seemed comfortable. I asked him if he wants me to call, and he said let's gamble, sure. I told myself I was beat, let it go. But decided the $357 lesson was worth it and called. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] later, I'm out $507 total.

Can you get away in a cash game from K-K? Thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Can you lay down KK pre-flop in NL cash game?

Pre-flop, they will have to pry KK from my cold dead fingers before I fold it. Next time don't limp, call the re-raise and reevaluate after the flop. I don't like pushing all-in unnecessarily, but in your case I'm out as well. Ten-handed it is 20-1 against villain having AA so without a Hellmuthian read, you have to call.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ten-handed it is 20-1 against villain having AA so without a Hellmuthian read, you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
somebody is going to have to explain the 20-1 against aces thing in this spot
Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 PM

I fold QQ preflop like its my job (well...for a month straight every single time I had QQ someone else had KK or AA...I once folded it twice in an hour and was shown a bigger pocket pair both times).

Anyhow, the way you played the hand I don't think you can get away from it. You have a lot of money in there already and since it was a sorta wild table I think I'd throw the chips in there and cross my fingers.

Limp reraising sorta makes it possible to get away from it, but unless the villain is exceptionally tight, especially when it comes to reraising preflop...its hard to lay down.

if you had made it 30 to go and villain pumped to $90 it'd be even harder I think. A reraise will pretty much pot commit you (say you make it $200 straight), and if you smooth call and take a flop and there's no ace he's gonna get your money...
Old 10-14-2005, 08:33 PM

the problem with Qs is it's hard enough to get the guy with AK to lay that down before the river, with 5 cards, QQ is prob a good fold preflop in many situations.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ten-handed it is 20-1 against villain having AA so without a Hellmuthian read, you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds that any player has any pocket pair is 17:1. The odds of someone specifically having AA is (17 x 13) = 221:1. Divide that by ten players at a full-ring table, and the odds that one specific individual has AA is 22.1:1.

(Actually, you'd probably be more correct to divide by nine, since you know that YOU don't have AA. In that case, the odds would be 24.5:1.)
Old 10-15-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds that any player has any pocket pair is 17:1. The odds of someone specifically having AA is (17 x 13) = 221:1. Divide that by ten players at a full-ring table, and the odds that one specific individual has AA is 22.1:1.

(Actually, you'd probably be more correct to divide by nine, since you know that YOU don't have AA. In that case, the odds would be 24.5:1.)

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, but saying its 20-1 against villain having AA here is a bad idea imo. thats what my point was.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:35 PM

It's way easier to see confidence live. Granted he could have QQ or JJ or even moronic AK over play, but generally it's bullets even a live donkey has enough sense to know how to play AA........... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM

I'm not a fan of the limp re-raise. It defines your hand way too much.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$3-5 blinds, I have about $650.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.