Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 PM

Default \" Way ahead way behind\", Lets discuss

I see alot of post on here where HERO, bets a hand that is going to get a fold from a worse hand or a call or raise from a better hand. Of course there are times where you want a fold from a better hand, and these continuation bets are optimal.

You will run into several situations in a trny where the passive style of play "way ahead way behind" is optimal. These situations come up most often with a marginal hand that you tried to steal with or a semi strong hand that you are playing from early position. Playing this way HU with position is usually better than trying it in a mutli way pot.

The best way to determine if it is a good hand to play this way is by asking yourself these questions.

1. If I bet, will I have to fold what could be the best hand to a Raise?

2. If I check will Villian bet into me on the turn with a worse hand that he would fold to a flop bet.

3. Can my hand improve dramatically to a good turn card?

If you are answering yes to all of these questions its a good time to slow down and take a turn card.

There are many examples where checking to induce a bluff or getting a free card to improve are far more correct than betting. Lets discuss these times show some examples and learn when its better to slow down , to get the chips.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: \" Way ahead way behind\", Lets discuss

In the May issue of the Internet Magazine, I have an article talking about a hand example regarding this topic.

I like your three questions. Don't forget that you can take that line on the turn and not the flop too. The hand example in my article, my hand improves on the turn, and I check/call OOP on the turn.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 AM

Good stuff.

I'm starting to be able to recognize these situations much more and making better decisions.

I used to try to buy almost every pot on the flop, now I am making better decisions on latter streets, and it usually doesn't cost as much and I am right (read on opponent) a larger percentage of the time. I still fire at a lot of flops, but its not a frequently as before and I think it has made me tougher to play against.

I like the idea of allowing some hands to act as bluff catchers, and use those hands to get more chips rather than using them to force worse hands to fold.

I hope to read some good insights on this topic.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 04-14-2005, 02:28 AM

I guess we will have to wait till May for that read, Congrats on the article.

thats a good point about when you improve on the turn. This is extremly effective against those players that bet there medium strength hands on the river strongly when a appearent draw has missed.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:53 AM

Some of the nicest pots I will win during a trny will be from using this betting pattern. It also works very nice to protect you from a CR that slaps you in the face with a hand that you have to fold.

A hand that I recall that I play horrible, and I should have used the way ahead way behind stratagy.

I had been playing semi- tight

Blinds 200-400 25 ante
Folded to
Hero (T12500) Co with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I thought I would go for a steal here.

Raise T1200

Fold to BB (13K)

Pot 2850

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks

Hero bets T1850

BB CR AI for 11800 total

hero has to fold.

Now this would have been an idea situation to check the flop. if another 2 or ten his the turn I know I am good and if Villian has a big Pair, he is in trouble. If Villain checks again on the turn I can almost I have a better Idea that my third button is good. I have also found that a turn bet will get a player to fold hands easier than a flop bet, they see a flop bet as a bluff and a turn bet as a value bet of a big hand trying to get them to call.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 AM

In my most recent 650 sat attempt I had a KK hand play out exactly like this. CC PF, flop was a low pair, I flatcalled and hit a K turn to make it just way ahead, and somehow got KQ to double me.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:53 PM

All right here's an example of one of the best times to use way ahead, way behind. You raise from LP with A7o and the BB calls. Flop comes A high rainbow. BB checks, and you should check behind hoping hoping he bluffs the turn.

Another benefit of checking behind in some of these situations is that you can sometimes check behind when you miss, or when you flop a draw and observant opponents will not feel they can take the pot on the turn because your check doesnt necessarily mean weakness.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 PM

great example , when you let villian hit something that, improves your hand more than his.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:15 PM

This also sets you up well to take the pot on the turn if he bets out into you. Alot of times I will raise here with Air, if I have showndown a hand that I checked TPGK on the flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:46 PM

As soon as I started reading this post, previously played hands started flying through my head.

"oohhh...I should have checked that A5....and that KT........and that 10 7....and"

In the early stages of a tournament, I love to take advantage of weaker players that fail to use this concept with a big check-raise bluff. Yet it never stopped me from making the same mistake as them later in the game.

Great post.