Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Dear bison: the May advice thread.

Dear mason,

I would suggest not tapping that cat.

As for something stupid and crazy that won't lead to relationship drama: this fits the bill.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Dear ThinMan,

I'm not a big seafood fan, so I'll just say that if you go on a weekday afternoon, Amici's at the corner of Castro and El Camino has some very attractive waitresses. It's not a full menu of italian dishes, and they serve the rolls cold, but smiling at pretty girls often compensates for that.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:28 PM

Dear Cubs Fan,

I don't like any of the teams in the NL central, but if anyone in the division finishes within 5 games of the Cards I will be very surprised.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear ThinMan,

I'm not a big seafood fan, so I'll just say that if you go on a weekday afternoon, Amici's at the corner of Castro and El Camino has some very attractive waitresses. It's not a full menu of italian dishes, and they serve the rolls cold, but smiling at pretty girls often compensates for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Bison,

Is that the one Ralph Barbieri goes to or is there another in the city? I use to call that guy all the time and call him Gary to piss him off...would love to get a chance to do so in person... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Dear bisonbison,

I'm not sure if it is a medium sized funk, truthfully it may be more serious. I don't know how to explain it other than physically it feels as though I have a weight pressing down upon my chest. Emotionally I can only describe it as a constant feeling of sadness but about nothing specific. I haven't experieced any recent tragedy or upheval. I have been playing poker for a living and have finally gotten to the point where I would be able to make a lot of money, yet I not have little or no desire to play. I don't know it that is that cause or an effect. I don't know, this is over your head.

I'm willing to give up posting on forums though as I only do it now out of habit and not enjoyment. For how long should I abstain?

NC
Old 04-30-2005, 07:37 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Dear bison,

Yesterday I gave my two weeks notice at my place of employment. I have been burned out for some time and there is simply no way I can co-exist with my boss. The notice was the result of the most recent, and most egregious berating he has given me. All of my co-workers feel the same way about him, though they recognize that he treats me far worse than any of them. Without my knowledge they went to his boss, who works in another building, to let him know that he is about to lose a good employee because he employs an ineffectual boar. They were advised to tell me to wait it out for a week or two and some things were going to change. This is not to say that they enacted said change, only that they were told of it.

Honestly, I don't know that this knowledge makes a difference in my decision. I'm ready for a change, and I've been wanting to do this for some time. Should I choose not to withdraw the resignation, how can I show my appreciation for my colleagues' support without diminishing their actions?

Thank you
Old 04-30-2005, 07:40 PM

Dear Bison,

Thanks for this, however my personality won't let me do something for a long time that I don't succeed or think I succeed in. Therefore, I feel that climbing the ranks slowly would torture me. Also, I want to make lots of money, and feel that doing something like that wouldn't give me it. I'm still in HS and this may be due to the fact that I get really into things (so far this year I've decided I want to be a physicist, pro poker player, sports writer, and a mathematician also), but sports generally are what's going on for me and they rarely make me upset. Is there another profession that ties the stuff I like (analytical thinking and such), pays a lot, and would allow me to continue to be obsessed with sports? Should I just wait and see what interests me in college?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Forgive the interuption of bison's thread but how about a sports writer, assuming you are planning on going to college. You could broaden the scope of the writing to beyond just sports if you wanted to.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Dear NC,

Disease is the handmaiden of war. Isolation and burnout are the handmaidens of playing online poker for a living.

When I was playing for a living, I came to associate that feeling with the endless sameness of my days. You know you have to put in X hours a week or a month to pay your bills, and you'd like to put in Y hours on top of that so you could save some money up or buy toys or whatever, but essentially, no matter how much you make, you'll need to do it again next week or next month or whatever. If you don't enjoy those necessary hours of play, then it just becomes this dreaded, boring burden, where BBs are the only thing you produce.

Some people get more or ask less from poker than others, but I would consider, at the very least, taking a break and considering what you want to be doing in a year and whether or not poker is going to get you any closer to that.

If not, and you don't want to find a full-time job, then you might consider signing up for classes at a local college or finding a part-time job to keep yourself socially and intellectually engaged with actual people.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive the interuption of bison's thread but how about a sports writer, assuming you are planning on going to college. You could broaden the scope of the writing to beyond just sports if you wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my things are open to anyone who will give advice. I thought about sports writing especially when I was deeply involved in fantasy football and writing 2-3 articles per week and spending lots of time thinking about it, but my brother and friends say they don't make too much. That's a big turnoff for me. Also, my writing = brutal.