Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Playing manly. 5/5 live

I have about 3.5k, villain has me covered. Villain hasn't been in a lot of pots over the last few hours, and he's definitely been in no big hands. I don't remember ever seeing his cards at a showdown. I think he's pretty tight. UTG (contributor) raises to 30 UTG (this was pretty standard), UTG + 1 (solid regular) calls, I call with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. 1 call behind, then the villain calls somewhere in MP. 5 to the flop.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot = 160

Checked to me, I bet 125, villain calls, I don't sense any serious strength but I haven't seen him in many hands so I'm not sure what range to put him on. Everyone else gets out of the way.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot = 410

I check (yuck?), he bets 200 after a moments consideration. I call. I still don't think he's that strong. But the Ks is still out there and I don't think I want to be playing a big pot here. I was considering this could be a set, I didn't think two pair would play like this. I was also playing loose and aggressively, so I thought he could be putting a move on me since I was picking up a lot of multiway pots with trash. Meh.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot = 810.

I check (yuck?). My reasoning here was a couple of things. My turn check/call looked really weak, so I could assume he'd bet the river as a value bet and as a bluff since he would thinkg that if he had a spade he had the best hand or he could push me off a hand. I also just really, really felt like he was betting here. If this is the case, should I have bet hoping for a raise? I don't think I would have liked getting 3-bet here (I didn't). Villain bet 200, 1/4 of the pot, after a 5 second pause I check raise to 600.

My raise was pretty small in relation to the pot, but I don't think this guy was thinking that way, or why else would he bet so small on the river? I think if I raised to 800 I'd be blowing him off a medium spade and I wanted my line to look fishy enough that he'd call with 9-J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Villain fumes, then starts counting out his money furiously, then says "you must have the Q but I have to see it" and calls. Can anyone guess his hand?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Playing manly. 5/5 live

4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I don't like the turn check.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:34 PM

reasoning?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:52 PM

Do you think he bets after your weak check on the turn with the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? I would lead the turn for 200 to get an idea of where I'm at. If he is in fact tight, you can easily get away from this. The river check is ok imo given the circumstances.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 PM

What did he have? Since it takes both cards to make the SF and it was there on the flop (and got longer on the turn!), I can't imagine him not seeing it (and seeing it doesn't make sense at all). Was it AA?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:10 PM

If he has a set or two pair, you're giving him a chance for a free card. I wouldn't be too worried by the turn card; you're probably still ahead. If you think he may make a move, bet 250 and let him raise it up.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:05 AM

I don't think it would be 4s 5s because why would he just call the river.
I think he had A c,h,d with Js
I might be off my rocker but it seems like he had the right odds to call pre flop with not that much heavy action.(no re-raise).
Slowplaying his top pair with a flush draw seems right for post flop.
His small bet after making his flush trying to suck you in for more cash seems possible. Your call must have made him worry a bit. Which is why his river bet doesn't make any sense, but possible.
After your raise it was clear as day for him what you had.

Hope I'm right
Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 AM

Dollars to doughnuts Villian had AT with the Ten of Spades. Maybe AJ?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Results

The turn really froze me for some reason because I couldn't see any hand that calls me on the flop that isn't either a Ks or a hand with outs. I don't know if I like check/raising the turn here with the second nut, because if I get called an a blank hits the river I'm going to hate calling a big bet if checked to. Unless I make a blocking bet. I don't know, I don't like the way I played this hand.

Does anyone think the preflop call is too nominal?

Anyway, villain had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I was absolutely boggled.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Results

w/those stacks preflop is fine if people in the back aren't raising to steal the loose calls preflop.