Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Poker Videos

I think the posting of short videos of our play was a great idea. Videos provide much more context to discuss hands/strategies with. Some questions:

1. Length - how long should they be? the longer they are, the more the observers can get reads and understand the poster's table image, etc. but, asking for readers to volunteer their time and considering attention span... is 10 minutes reasonable?

2. Size - what is the largest filesize that most here would be willing to wait for to download? do most here have DSL or better? 10, 20, 50, 100 MB?

3. Tables - if we want the best advice, i presume 1 table is best. but, how many readers will want to watch us only get involved in 70% of the hands? how about 2 tables for a mix of entertainment and comprensibility?

4. Codec - i presume many people won't want to spend the time finding and installing various codecs. is there a codec that comes standard in windows media player that allows for good compression? if not, could we agree on a standard for the forum that allows the ability to disable sound and use low frame rates (for small file sizes).

5. Screen capture - i found the free version of River Past Screen Recorder doesn't work well with the popular Xvid codec. can anyone recommend a good but simple piece of software?

6. File hosting - what's the best free hosting service for these monster files?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Poker Videos

maybe this is a dumb question, but why all the videos?

What does a video give you that a hand history and a replayer like this one lacks?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe this is a dumb question, but why all the videos?

What does a video give you that a hand history and a replayer like this one lacks?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stats I think
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM

it requires that you have your hand history emailed to you, which i prefer not to take the time to do while multitabling:

http://www.tightpoker.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1096324870

more importantly, you can only watch 1 table at a time, and can't see stats on table, etc.

also, making your readers download a text file, open a text editor, and cut/paste text into the converter is not as easy as just watching a movie.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it requires that you have your hand history emailed to you, which i prefer not to take the time to do while multitabling:

http://www.tightpoker.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1096324870

more importantly, you can only watch 1 table at a time, and can't see stats on table, etc.

also, making your readers download a text file, open a text editor, and cut/paste text into the converter is not as easy as just watching a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, I get that thing to work with histories straight out of PT all the time.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:53 PM

videos are infinitly better than hand histories. you get stats, you get to watch the previous hands that the opponent was involved in, see speed of action, texture of the game.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
videos are infinitly better than hand histories. you get stats, you get to watch the previous hands that the opponent was involved in, see speed of action, texture of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
videos are infinitly better than hand histories.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but a pimped out replayer (that included stats, allowing quick rewind/fast forward functionality, etc) would be better than a video, don't you think?

edit: I don't mean any replayer any of us has seen before. It just seems like the video thing is a bit of a PITA and quite bulky in regards to size/bandwidth. My question is really not about what would be a better alternative *right now*, rather what is the perfect solution if you catch my meaning.