Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Early on, top two on a monotone board, call this push?

Small buy-in Start tournament, early on (level 2). Lots of bad play (from me too, probably -- but that's why I play these small events and not the 500k guaranteed and such).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

CO (t1863)
Button (t1080)
Heroine (t2065)
BB (t1490)
UTG (t2012)
UTG+1 (t985)
MP1 (t2030)
MP2 (t2715)

Preflop: Heroine is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Heroine calls t75, BB calls t50.

<font color="green">Is flat-calling this min-raise a bad move? I did not think much of this minraise; the player in question would do this with nearly any hand he was playing.</font>

Flop: (t300) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets t300</font>, BB calls t300, CO calls t300.

<font color="green">I bet the pot in an effort to get single clubs out of the hand, mainly (also an effort to just win the pot outright). Would a smaller bet have been suitable?</font>

Turn: (t1200) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1090</font>, CO folds, <font color="green">Heroine...</font>

<font color="green">I think I screwed this up. Try to protect the pot again and push right away? Or do I fold to BB's all-in bet? The pot was laying over 4.5:1 odds, and the only hands I was behind were 66, AA, JJ, and any two clubs. However, anything less would be a nasty overplay on the BBs part (and it could be a stone-bluff). The most likely thing I was hoping for was an Ax[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]; TP with a strong redraw. Even if I am behind, I have 4 outs against a flush or 66, 2 outs against JJ, and I'm dead meat against AA (but the latter two hands are highly unlikely). So about 10% of the time I am behind, I suck out anyway. Even with all that, do I fold this cheese?</font>

Pot at this point: t2750

-K
Old 06-17-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Early on, top two on a monotone board, call this push?

My play would be to fold on the turn to the all in.. There are a lot of hands that have you. I think he has flopped the flush. With the raise it could be TJc JQc QKc if he likes to play his high suited connectors for a raise. He could have also flopped a set. Its early, I would fold and take the 900 chip hit and fight my way back.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:36 AM

I think a set is quite likely, and against two callers on the flop I don't like my hand a great deal with no clubs. Though I'd expect a re-raise with a set on a dangerous flop like that, so perhaps a flush, either way your likely to be beat.

I'd fire on the flop like you did, then I check it down, and fold to any decent bet, because I think your likely beat. So I fold to the allin as well, but I wouldn't have fired again on the turn myself.

It's still early, you can come back.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:48 AM

I like a check-raise on the flop and if it checks through then a bet on the turn.

I don't mind betting out the flop either but if I get called I'm just trying to get to the river for cheap.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:07 AM

Isn't it a little risky to chance a free card with this flop?

lf
Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it a little risky to chance a free card with this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flop comes like this you either losing a big pot or winning a small one. So you might as well play it light and win a showdown with the bare club that doesn't get there or vs an Ax of some sort. Also giving a free card here alows you to pick up a free card, which you will need to stack a slowplayed flush.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM

so what happened?