Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Default All-in After Check-Check When Blank Hits....Make the Call With 2-Pair?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) converter

MP1 (t23051)
MP2 (t30210)
Hero (t7165)
Button (t20085)
SB (t7330)
BB (t8709)
UTG (t44475)
UTG+1 (t6175)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t1400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t3175) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t3175) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t5705 (All-In)</font>

HERO......?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: All-in After Check-Check When Blank Hits....Make the Call With 2-P

Call! Why would you check the flop if not to induce that bet on the turn?
MAYBE he has QJ. Can't go looking for monsters though. Does he play the nuts like that? Any reads / tendencies? More likely a naked A trying to protect its lead.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 AM

Yes, my intention was to induce a bluff from him. I was hoping he called me with a weaker ace.

I just wasn't expecting an all-in move.

He has played pretty loose up to this point, but usually folds before it ever gets to a showdown. More loose-passive than anything else.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: All-in After Check-Check When Blank Hits....Make the Call With 2-Pair?

Can't give a free card on that flop, but call the turn.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: All-in After Check-Check When Blank Hits....Make the Call With 2-Pair?

[ QUOTE ]
Can't give a free card on that flop, but call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worrying about the possible draws? Do you bet and see if he flat calls to put him on the draw?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:04 AM

I'm a little surprised by your check on the flop, you are giving him a free card to draw to the flush and to the straight if he has a Q or J. On the other hand, he's probably thinking the same thing, and wouldn't give you a free card with any holding that beats you.

I doubt very much that he would check AK on that flop or AA, KK, TT. He might check QJ but I am skeptical of that too. Its much more likely that he's got that ace with a mid range kicker and your check on the flop makes him think you are weak. I would call
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Checking on that flop is a no no. Having said that call the push. Sorry if he had 44.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 AM

Yes, I do regret it now, and as soon as he moved it.

I was short-stacked and felt that this flop was worthy of the risk to try and accumulate some chips. With some chips in the pot I was thinking smaller bets on the turn and river would be called by him with something less than 2-pair.

The turn card seemed to be a total blank...lucky for me. That is what confused me about the move. If he was holding QJ why would be make such a big bet instead of trying to extract more chips from me? So that didn't add up either.

Also I figured if he did have AK he would have pushed PF because I had been going after the blinds in late pos. 10's were a possibilty, but I firgured it wasn't likely.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM

Don't check there. Call.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Because of the check on the flop, it gave us little info to what the sb is holding. like everyone else as commented, i would have bet the flop and see how he plays back. does he just call then all in on the turn? does he call, then checks the turn? does he go over the top on your flop bet? you can almost figure out a range of hands he is playing based on your flop play. you might have had the best hand afterall, but by checking the flop you put the sb on the driver seat and now you're stucking thinking did i make the correct fold.