Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 12:25 PM

Default I like poker.

After beating my head against 5/10 6-max for a month and running and/or playing really, really bad, I decide to drop down to 3/6 full to restore my damaged bankroll and/or psyche.

God tossed me some table scraps to reward my submissive behavior and I had a very nice session, making back a good chunk of what I'd lost during my ARROGANT ATTEMPT TO FLY TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN. Maybe I'm just cut out for full-table play, which at this point I find totally relaxing and fun compared to the nitro-burning rock, paper, scissors-in-the-eyes that is short-handed. Anyway, this was my favorite hand from that very good day.

The only thing that's cooler than cute nicknames for crap hands is CB slang, so I call this story:

Getting Busy in the Big Blind

because according to the interweb 10-6 is what truckers say when they're busy (presumably getting a blowjob from another trucker.)

The players in this hand are mostly loose and a trifle on the passive side, except for UTG+1 who's more aggressive than most. UTG just sat down and posted a blind, so who knows, maybe it's sfer.

Preflop: I have T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the big blind, good buddy!

UTG checks, UTG+1 calls, LP calls, SB calls, I call.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, LP calls, SB folds, I call.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, LP calls, I raise, UTG 3-bets, call, call, I cap it up cap-style, all call.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, LP raises, I fold

All goot?

/mc
Old 11-15-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: I like poker.

3-bet the flop. You've got a monster draw.

I call the turn 3-bet. Middle 2-pair with a redraw is good but a 3-bet on the turn is usually better. Some of your outs may be tainted as a result.

River fold is good.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:42 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I agree with your analysis of the 6-max games. I don't much like them either. I did at one point, but I think they take a lot of the skill out of the game.

As for the hand, I would've 3-bet the flop. you have a huge draw, and there's no guarantee UTG will cap it. even if he does, it's not so bad, as your two pair outs aren't so clean with all those players in, and UTG capping could chase out something like A6, though that's rare.

I also think your turn cap is overdoing it since you aren't ahead, but most of the time you have 4 boat outs against 44, sometimes you have 2 boat outs against 66. my only concern is that someone has a better two pair. but, the best case scenario is that you have 11 (I think) outs, and you're 3-1 to hit those, and getting 3-1 on your cap. that's the best case scenario so I still don't like it.

I have two questions. did you cap the turn purely for value, with 2 callers, and would you have folded the river for one bet?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call the turn 3-bet. Middle 2-pair with a redraw is good but a 3-bet on the turn is usually better. Some of your outs may be tainted as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the small but real chance I'm ahead, plus flush outs, plus boat outs, plus 3 players who are all going to call, requires the cap.

/mc
Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM

This reply puzzles me. Why not 3-bet the flop then?

6-max sucks.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have two questions. did you cap the turn purely for value, with 2 callers, and would you have folded the river for one bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Value. I thought my hand's combination of slight potential ahead-ness plus many outs gave me a ton of equity. I wouldn't have capped with fewer opponents. River would have depended on the card, source of bet, and other callers, but folding for one bet was not out of the question.

I agree that I missed bets on the flop, but I still like my turn cap. I don't think 4 ways with 2-pair and a flush draw is a time to save bets.

/mc
Old 11-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

let's say the callers have no chance of winning. further, let's say the aggressor can only have 66, 44, or QTs (only suited since I don't think this hand is a strong possibility. you'll beat him 27% of the time. it's basically a break-even situation if you throw in the possibility of someone having a better flush draw or one of the callers having two pair that dominates yours.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reply puzzles me. Why not 3-bet the flop then?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I didn't think with middle pair T-kicker plus flush draw gave me enough equity with 3 callers to 3-bet the flop. I may have been mistaken.

When the turn improved my hand AND my outs and there were still 3 other players I thought I had more than a bet's worth of equity for every bet I put into the pot. Was I mistaken?

/mc
Old 11-15-2004, 01:14 PM

I disagree with the your statement that the chances that your hand is best are real. the only way they're real is if UTG is a huge LAG
Old 11-15-2004, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
let's say the aggressor can only have 66, 44, or QTs only suited since I don't think this hand is a strong possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that the agressor has basically a random hand (he posted/checked UTG). Q4 is more likely than QT. Not that that really affects your analysis all that much. Anyway, I agree that the cap is close to break even, but I put it on the plus side. My rough estimate was I'm good about 10% of the time and have something like 11 or 12 outs the rest.

When the T fell on the turn my immediate goal was to get it capped 4 ways. I guess the question is how much does UTG's 3-bet reduce the chance I'm currently ahead. I guess that's where my plan breaks down a little.

/mc