Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:15 PM

Default I don\'t Have a Problem with a Good Person Going to Hell

Why is it that believers (in general) seem completely unperturbed by the notion that many, many millions of good, ethical, loving people will go to hell simply because of a lack of faith in Christ/God?

-g
Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: I don\'t Have a Problem with a Good Person Going to Hell

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that believers (in general) seem completely unperturbed by the notion that many, many millions of good, ethical, loving people will go to hell simply because of a lack of faith in Christ/God?

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Why would you think this?

Is it the side effect of an atheistic worldview?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Is it the side effect of an atheistic worldview?

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I am not an Atheist, and I make that point so as not to give all these brilliant Atheists a bad name. Secondly, it doesn't appear to be a false statement to me. If I thought that my deity would punish a very humble, kind, compassionate person simply due to a lack of faith, I might decide that deity wasn't worth a seconds worship.

-g
Old 11-15-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
False.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this false. I was always under the assumption that the one requirement for going to heaven under the Christian faith is true faith in God. Is this incorrect?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-g

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the rules.

Such a belief promotes belief which they believe is a good thing (both the belief and its promotion).

I realize if the time comes and my guess is wrong, I'm screwed, but I can't honestly claim to believe and I think being honest is important, more so than tricking myself into believing something that I certainly do not.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM

This is why I try not to get mad at people that are evangelizing. If a person believes that their friend is going to hell because he doesn't have faith, then he would be a pretty crappy friend if he didn't try to prevent you from spending eternity in hell. While I can understand that the evangelists are trying to save us from hell, I don't understand the Christians that don't seem to care what happens to those around them. To quote Puddy from Seinfeld "It's not a problem for me, you're the one that's going to hell"
Old 11-15-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I try not to get mad at people that are evangelizing. If a person believes that their friend is going to hell because he doesn't have faith, then he would be a pretty crappy friend if he didn't try to prevent you from spending eternity in hell. While I can understand that the evangelists are trying to save us from hell, I don't understand the Christians that don't seem to care what happens to those around them. To quote Puddy from Seinfeld "It's not a problem for me, you're the one that's going to hell"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe that the United States should send FBI agents to Madagascar to solve their open murder cases? Should it be illegal to insult someone?

The problem with evangelism is not so much the intent, but the fact that it does not respect individuals' autonomy. I believe that I am not going to hell. In fact, I don't even believe in hell. Evangelist John Doe believes that I am going to hell. Who's right? I don't know; both beliefs are equally valid, and therein lies the problem. Where does John Doe's belief become more important in regard to my life than my own belief? Why should my life be unwillingly subjected to his judgment?

Scott

PS By the way, if you do grant his beliefs power over me, I can logically conclude from your assumptions that I have the right to walk around killing missionaries, so I suggest giving it a fair amount of thought [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 06:54 PM

I think what our somewhat zealous OP is saying is that most Christians don't seem exceptionally terrified or emotionally moved that some people whom they love are headed for eternal damnation. I can understand too; I had a girlfriend who was Christian (a believer, but not very strong practicer or student). I was mystified that she would often be very concerned about my health when I was sick or my upcoming midterm that I was stressing about, yet seemingly nonchalant about the idea of me spending eternity in unfathomable anguish.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:58 PM

What I personally wonder is how Christians accept the concept of heaven/hell as just. How can a finite sin or merit deserve infinite punishment or reward? How is hell at all useful for someone? Why not decide heaven/hell based on someone's compassion, morality, or something more universal and basic than the belief in Christ?

Why not reincarnation, or a plethora of levels of heaven/hell that correspond with the person's level of morality?

Why not total oblivion rather than Hell? (that's one that I'd REALLY like answered)

In essence, why not something that makes more sense?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
False.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this false. I was always under the assumption that the one requirement for going to heaven under the Christian faith is true faith in God. Is this incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not what christians believe, as far as I'm aware. Entry into heaven is through Christ. that is why there are all the missionaries .... to save souls that would be inevitably lost by virtue of ignorance of Christ.