Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Default What should I look for in my opponents?

What VPIP, PFR, and TAF should I be looking for in weak opponents at 3/6 SH

VPIP 30-40?
PFR 5% or less
TAF 1.5 of less

???
Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: What should I look for in my opponents?

You want to sit to the right of too tight, too weak players that don't defend their blinds properly. That way you can steal their blinds all day long.

You want to sit to the left of LAGs and Fishes. This way you can 3-bet isolate the LAGs and raise isolate the fishes.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 PM

There are many kinds of bad opponents, so you arn't looking for a specific one. I think the 30-40 VPIPers are potentially the most dangerous, so I wouldn't really be looking for them (although the passive 30-40 VPIPers are fine). I generally like to have at least 2 50+ VPIPers at the table, and if I can find a 70+ VPIPer, that is great. Agressive and passive opponents are both good, but I think I prefer the passives. Tight/passive blinds are the best though.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:06 PM

I'm starting to believe more and more that there are many many 25/17/2 players I would rather have at my tables than some 45/15/1.5 players I have seen. I think there's a TON of ridiculously bad postflop players with taggish stats. and postflop is where the money is.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 PM

On a sort of metaphysical level, once you have developed a playing style and statistical profile that you believe is "best" for your game, then you're simply looking for anyone who plays substantially different from you. By definition, they have to be making mistakes.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:38 PM

When I'm looking for weak opponents I usually look mostly at VPIP. 40 is pretty bad, but at party 3/6 you can do much much better. I usually try to sit to the left of someone who is VPIP of 70+, agressive or passive doesn't really matter I'll be making tons of money off them either way. If the guy on my immediate right has a VPIP less than 50 or if the average VPIP of the table is below 35 I usually get up and look for a better seat.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:51 PM

I think it's most important to learn to identify what type a given player is while you're playing, rather than hunt for PT-type stats that are based on less than a few hundred hands.

If you do can do that, and realize you're sitting in a bad spot, then switch tables.

Maybe this doesn't apply if you data-mine. I find that to be too much of pain to bother. I also find I play better without HUDs ... mostly because I pay more attention.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM

I look for LAGs because playing with them is the most fun
Old 12-16-2005, 05:32 PM

I agree with gildwulf... The looser the better!
I have also noticed when you have a maniac at the table everyone else tends to play looser even when the maniac is not involved.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:37 PM

I just look to sit to the right of a 50+ guys. Preferably one who has a high PFR.

people often cold call a raise... but a raise and a re-raise makes them think twice even if they are brainless fish(who dont have AA/KK/QQ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Ill repeat it again... MONEY FLOWS CLOCKWISE.