Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Busting your friends?

it seems like an easier way to create table image would have been not to bet on the flop.
you should have both checked down your hands to the river. it would be much much more deceptive, plus, did anyone know you 2 were friends already?

might not have mattered in any case.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem becomes this... we know eachothers play so well... we would end up calling eachother down on the river with middle pair, A high, ect... and other players feel we are cheating and/or much better player than we actually are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will probably make you look worse, not better, to the average donk.

Would you play this way against other solid players? This appears to be your reasoning. If I sit down at a table with a solid regular, with whom I've played many times and know her play very well, I will still play my best against her. Yes, I would rather avoid her than play many pots against her, but this is because I want to avoid difficult and/or marginal decisions, if possible.

In the future, bust him for all his money. He is clearly attempting to do the same with you.

Mind you, I can actually spot a reason for softplaying a friend. If she is the one who drove you to the room, and will leave when she busts, it would be against your interest for her to go bust. This is assuming that the game is good and you are playing well. I would rather give up a few bets on one hand than take a cab home (more expensive for me). Given the right game conditions, it is possible that softplaying your friend is +EV overall.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
however, you are looking like an internet badass with a huge epenus. keep it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me crack up for like 5 minutes.

As for the OP, I think the excuse of "don't wanna scare off the rest of the table" is kinda lame. Yea, it's something to worry about if you're completely paranoid. But most of the time the average donk is going to think "Well, hell, they're betting mid pair down to the river...wait 'till I catch something!" If anything, they'll just think you BOTH are bad players. I wouldn't suggest doing that little eye move again- they have 654878495390 cameras there for a reason.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:15 PM

Didn't BicycleKick teach you any better than that? Jeez.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Stop cheating.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:47 AM

based on my experience, not busting your friend there is a good way to end a friendship especially if you play together regularly. that whole 'standing agreement' thing is an illusion.

he said it himself. you shoulda busted him. listen to your friend. if you feel guilty buy him dinner. dont settle it on the poker table.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the MGM this weekend and I just sat down with a friend of mine who is an extremely good player.

...and I "waive off my buddy with my eyes"

He checks to me on the flop... I bet $150 and he thinks about it for a long time.

He fold his hand... tells me later he had KK and that I should have busted him for all his money.

What are your thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

When a situation like this comes up again, play the same (eye signals and all) with with any two cards. Keep making him fold premium hands with your rags. He may pick up on it eventually, but in the mean time you'll be making money as well as making up for your collusion.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we don't collude...and I "waive off my buddy with my eyes"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're confused about what collusion is.

eastbay