Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 02:16 AM

Default Re: SNG strategy

At Party you will often finish 4th. At Stars not as high.
Play really tight at the start(at party) let the idiots knock themselves out. You will be short stacked against the opponents that pick these guys off but that doesn't mean that there that good of a player either. Double thru one and you have good chance of winning. However, with the blind structure at Party it's more of a crap shoot anyway imho.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:25 AM

This is why I sit out the first round sometimes the first two unless I am holding AA or I have enough notes on all the players. I have made the money in the first round and Party before (10+1) without even playing a hand! Then again I have been on full tables deep into round five! I try to let everyone knock each other out. I hope the tight players take some bad beats. And don't assume the players will see you are not playing. We are talking about Party here.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:50 AM

Last summer I was thinking about this and I made a calculation that was interesting

After watching a few hundred $5 sngs on party, I made notes about when they reached the final 3. I came up with an average which was about 59 hands.

By considering that it took an average of 59 hands to eliminate 7 players, I concluded that it would take an average of ~8.5 hands to eliminate each player. This is of course not true as players tend to get eliminated in groups and usually once the blinds start getting bigger. Still, for sake of argument, assume this is the case

I then calculated how much it would cost at each hand to be able to blind oneself into the final 3.

Level 1 will cost 40 chips
Level 2 will cost 60 chips
Level 3 will cost 75 chips
Level 4 will cost 300chips
Level 5 will cost 600chips
Level 6 will cost 900chips

(this is assuming that players get eliminated on hands 9,17,26,34,42,50 and 59. It also assumes that you pay the blinds on your first two hands)

There are probably a lot more precise mathematical methods to determine average cost of blinds at each level (taking into account all possible button start positions, etc...). Oh well.

So, you can see that on hand one, you will need 1975 chips to be able to make the money
With the 800 that you start with, and these assumptions, you will likely finish 5th on hand 49. This is actually one hand away from 4th, so with just a few different assumptions (like starting out of the blinds) it would be 4th place instead.

Of course I understand this is all really meaningless because part of the reason that players are eliminated is other players participating in knocking them out. With you just sitting out, it might take longer. More importantly though, as your stack shrinks you will be targeted and players will likely take less risks on the bubble as they see you blinding away. I think you would finish 4th-5th about 99% of the time. At limits above 30+3, you would probably finish even worse.

I think it is very interesting to note how important the blinds become on level 4 and up. My party sng strategy pretty much consists of supertight play untill level 4 with a lot of steals after that. I think that these numbers suggest that you never want to showdown if you don't have to. I'm not (usually) looking to double up when I play. I'm looking to effectively steal so that I can stay alive orbit after orbit. It also pays not to be the smallest stack as that player is the guy who will be targeted.

The whole reason I did this calculation was that I occasionally found myself winning a monster hand right away and I wondered with (say) a 1600 stack, whether it might be more profitable for me to just forget about that sng and go find another at that point. I have since given up on such foolish thoughts, but I do think that one can come very close to not playing at all and be a profitable player in cheap party sngs.

Regards,
Brad S