Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-12-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: i must be doing something wrong

Excellent posts Cris,
I try to employ several of the same tactics you described. If the cards aren't coming you have to pick up chips somehow, and you illustrated some ways, IMO, very well. I have had some tremendous results with plays like this. I now avergage around 15-20 pots won without a showdown, unfortunately my pots won at showdown is not as high as I would like it to be... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
But then again maybe I am little to loose.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: i must be doing something wrong

Hiya Salt,

Thank you for the kind words.

[ QUOTE ]
I now avergage around 15-20 pots won without a showdown, unfortunately my pots won at showdown is not as high as I would like it to be... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
But then again maybe I am little to loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, one of the dangers of playing this style is that you will be in a whole lot more close pots than you would with solid, tight, ABC poker. That means you have to get very tight post-flop.

You're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to make accurate reads in close situations. If you're going to err post-flop, it's better to err on the side of caution. Yes, take your stab at the pot if it's offered to you. But that is one stab, and then you screw it down so tight it squeaks unless your hand improves.

Here's an example from the WPT Foxwoods final table:

There are five players left. Phil Hellmuth is in the SB with J9o, and Hoyt Corkins is in the BB with J7o. It's folded to Phil, and he steal-raises. Hoyt thinks a monent, and calls.

The flop is 9-high, giving Phil the top pair. He bets, and Hoyt puts in a big raise. Phil calls, trying to draw Hoyt in. The turn is a 7. Phil checks, hoping to pull Hoyt into making another bet. Hoyt checks behind. The river is a 7, giving Hoyt a set of 7s. Phil bets, Hoyt puts in a big raise, and Phil thinks for a moment and calls it.

Phil is obviously upset, and says that he had Hoyt dead to running 7. Hoyt replies: "You weren't going to break me. I wasn't going to put another dime into that hand, after my bluff ... until the third 7 fell."

That quote was the reason I shared this hand. If you're going to play aggressive pre-flop, you have to be willing to tighten up post-flop, or you'll get mauled in too many long-odds showdowns.

Cris