Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Default psychology question / small stakes loser

I've been playing poker for about a year and a half now. I have read over 15 poker books and do constant thinking about the game. But somehow I during this past year and a half I have been a loser in poker. I feel that part of my problem is that when I play poker I get really caught up with the money factor and play scare poker. In essence I'm not playing my A game because I'm afraid to lose. For example sometimes I have a hard time calling a potential bluffer even when I know I probably have the best hand. I'm sick of playing scare and don't know how I can get over this problem. Hope some of you can give me some advice on this matter.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: psychology question / small stakes loser

Move down in limits, so the money doesn't matter. If you are already playing micros and are still afraid to lose, then that is a different story.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Moving down a limit or two is good advice.

I don't know if you're playing limit or NL. For me, limit is less stressful in this regard. The call on the river isn't for my whole stack, so it's easier for me to a) make the crying call for one more BB or b) know that the raiser probably isn't bluffing for one BB on the river (although there are definitely players who do -- for them, refer back to (a)).

I'm feeling more comfortable with my game since I switched to limit. I made the switch because I had several bad beats in a row in NL for my whole stack. I had made the right play in most of those cases, so it shouldn't have bothered me, but it did. I handle the beats much better in limit.

At some point, I want to go back to NL, but I still have much to learn about the game before I do.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 PM

If you're afraid to lose, the limit is too high. That should be a no-brainer.

You need to play at a limit where you're unafraid to push your edges. Go to nanolimits if you must (I recommend Poker Stars for $.05-$.10 to $.25-$.50 play). You might even consider creating a bankroll which you promise yourself to never replenish - if you lose half the roll, you move down in limit. Double the roll, move up. (That's worked for me so far.)

Have you considered that maybe you're overthinking? I would be afraid to read too many books while playing microlimit games, because different authors have different strategies, and that can mess with your thought processes. Try going back to one or two, and mentally reject any conflicting advice, at least until you get a handle on things.

Also, if you're multitabling, go back to single tables for a while, and spend all your "downtime" studying the other players.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Hello,Tyboy! IF U CAN\'T PLAY UR ...

HAND PROPERLY<DO NOT PLAY POKER AT ALL! There is NO room for scary plays--ur oppos. will sense it and BEAT UR BIG SKULL UP!
Get in there and FIGHT for UR crown to be KING OF THE TABLE.
Then when u start winning,ask UR oppos. "How U like UR NEW BOSS?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Hello,Tyboy! IF U CAN\'T PLAY UR ...

1. Move down in limits
2. Establish a bigger bankroll

Besides that, theres not much you can do to compensate for it. Its all inside. You have to realize that to be a successful poker player, (ESPECIALLY NL HOLDEM) you have to be extremley aggressive. I occasionally struggle with this as well, despite being tagged as a typical LAG.

I always try to trust my gut/read, no matter how much it costs. Im sure you have many instances where you know whats going on, but you just cant pull the trigger. Its a hard thing to get used to, but it comes with practise and determination.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HAND PROPERLY<DO NOT PLAY POKER AT ALL! There is NO room for scary plays--ur oppos. will sense it and BEAT UR BIG SKULL UP!
Get in there and FIGHT for UR crown to be KING OF THE TABLE.
Then when u start winning,ask UR oppos. "How U like UR NEW BOSS?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull

[/ QUOTE ]

Dam dude...you got me all fired up to play! LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Think of your chips as weapons.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:25 AM

Establishing a bigger bankroll is defenitely good advice. I've built mine up to be exceptionally large for the limits that I play. Once your daily fluctuations are down to 1-2% of your bankroll, it's much easier to play at an optimal level (I play nl).
Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Move down in limits, so the money doesn't matter. If you are already playing micros and are still afraid to lose, then that is a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have to read anymore after this.

But I did anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

good post.