Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 11:08 AM

Default I\'m really playing bad

I mean, BAD.

If I'm multitabling 15/30 Party, I'm figuring "What's the point of trying to figure out what these donks are doing?"

If I'm playing $80/160 triple draw at UB, I'm saying "Ok, I can draw 2 to a rough 8 here because this guy's tough and his raise from early position might mean anything."

If I'm playing $100/200 at Stars, I'm saying "I have position, and this hand has a little showdown value."

If I'm playing $75/150 Omaha 8 at Stars, I'm saying "This guy can't have the low every single hand."

If I'm playing a NL tourney, I'm saying "Ok, forget the guy behind me who called a raise preflop. The board is raggedy, and the preflop raiser has made the obligatory bet. I will push him off."

I am getting either really stupid or really lazy (please don't suggest which).

Time to take a little hiatus, I imagine.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I\'m really playing bad

May I suggest you move up in limits? It's a lot easier to put them on a hand. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2004, 12:00 PM

I only included the limits to show that these are games where there is generally a rhyme AND a reason, and also so that you might imagine that my bad play is hurting pretty bad.

I hope it didn't come off as bragging, because, to be honest, I feel it's somehow more shameful to be playing poorly with this much money at stake, so to speak.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:22 PM

Burnout. You're not thinking clearly because you've been playing long and a lot and every hand starts to look like it can be played on autopilot.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope it didn't come off as bragging

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I was just trying to be funny. I'll get my coat....
Old 12-23-2004, 12:26 PM

If you would like a candid and unbiased opinion I'll offer one up. I believe that after you had that windfall tournament win it convinced you that you are a better player than you really are. You are now playing within your new larger bankroll yet are encountering better quality players so therefore should expect to lose. I suggest you drop back down in limits and play with a level of competition where you are again superior.

Best of luck at the tables and Merry Xmas.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:25 PM

Rushmore-

I am unfamilar with, yet very interested in your poker playing/poker history.

What tournament did you score big in and are these the limits you currently play for a living?

just curious bc i always enjoy reading your posts, yet did know that you played that high or were that good.

thanks and yeah, it sounds like a few days off are what is needed.

gl.

fsuplayer
Old 12-23-2004, 01:50 PM

Here is my recipe for getting your brain back on track.

1. Play one, and only one, table at a lower limit. 5-10 or lower.
2. Buy in for a random amount, far above your normal buy in for that limit.
3. Do not look at your chip total until you are finished.
4. Do this three days in a row for a minimum of 2 hours.
5. Focus on playing very tight. Notice how the hands you normally would have played end up. Would you have won or lost on them? Think about what the likelihood of those hands winning in the long run would have paid.

My reasoning is that you can focus strictly on the play of non-marginal hands. Get back to basics. You won't have to worry about bankroll management, winning streaks, losing streaks, sessions, etc.

From there, you can go back to the higher limits with a little more focus on fundamental play, which is what will win you the majority of your earnings. Once you are clobbering the higher limits again, you can move more toward the marginal plays as long as you continue to stay in control and focused on the right thoughts.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:07 PM

You just need a break. Like mentioned above you are burnt out. Just take a week or two off. Don't touch a card.
Go out, party...have fun, and then come back to the game with same vengeance as when you started and you'll be a winner again.
Good luck and happy holidays.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:20 PM

I agree, just stop playing for a couple of days, do something fun. You'll probably regain your focus when you return to the tables. I think major upswings (makes you feel invincible) and downswings (makes you feel like crap) affect my game more than smaller ones.