Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Default advice needed for a player moving from .50/1 to 1/2 and struggling

ok i'm looking for advice on moving up in limits for my room mate.

he's been playing .50/1 limit, 6 tabling for the past few months. i guess he's done fairly well and has something like 100,000 hands at 1.8bb/100 hands. so i told him that he should take 150 big bets at 1/2 and give it a shot and see how he does because it's really important to move up in limits when you're playing that low rather than just dick around at a lower limit for ages. so he did that and i guess at first he got up 100 big bets, then lost 150 so he's down 250 big bets total.

so basically he's asked me if he should move back down to .50/1 and make up the money he lost and then move up and try 1/2 again or if he should keep playing at 1/2.

i moved up through limits pretty quickly up to 3/6. i started at .25/.50 and got up to 3/6 within like 4 or 5 months ( i'm now a questionable 10/20 player and a consistent 5/10 player ).

so basically i'm wondering what i should tell him to do. my first instinct is just to say that there is not that big a difference between .50/1 and 1/2 so he should just stick it out at 1/2. but my more rational side thinks he should just spend some time reviewing books, reading hand historys posted on 2+2 and just work on making better decisions regardless of what limits he's playing ( i played 2 tables at a time up until i got to 5/10 and although i play 8 now i'm not sure i think playing 6 at a time like he does is benificial while you're still in a stage where learning about the game is 10x more important than maximizing your win rate ).

anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: advice needed for a player moving from .50/1 to 1/2 and struggling

how many hands did he play at 1/2?

edit: if money isn't a problem and he's not intimidated to move up, then i see no reason to drop down. maybe not 6 table.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many hands did he play at 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure exactly but i think at least 15,000
Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 PM

You seem to have a very good idea about what you are doing yourself.

Reviewing hand histories, reading and studying poker books and posting here is obviously going to be helpful to your play.

And being able to multitable 8 tables profitably is awesome !

But maybe, your friend is not as an experienced player as yourself. So perhaps you should not push him too hard to move up limits.

Different people need a different amount of time to learn and feel comfortable about playing (not just poker) but all sorts of games and sports at various levels.

So perhaps, suggest that your friend takes his time and moves up in limits, when he feels comfortable and confident enough to do so.

And in the meantime, you can offer your encouraging and (knowledgable) support. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 11:38 PM

yeah less tables is prolly a good idea.

i'm confused about the math...he went up 100, down 150, and is now down 250 total?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:40 PM

-50 bets over 15k hands is only -.33BB/100, he could just be running cold
Old 12-25-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i'm confused about the math...he went up 100, down 150, and is now down 250 total?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is down TO 250. That's what I think anyways. What site does he play? Does he understand table selection? I sujest playing less tables at a time but sticking to 1/2
Old 12-25-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-50 bets over 15k hands is only -.33BB/100, he could just be running cold

[/ QUOTE ]

he went down 250 big bets total which, since he's at 1/2 is 250 dollars. and as we both know, a negative 250 big bet swing is not terribly common and probably means he isn't playing optimally.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is down TO 250. That's what I think anyways. What site does he play? Does he understand table selection? I sujest playing less tables at a time but sticking to 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]

he's down 250 big bets ( 500 dollars ). he currently plays on betonbet ( pokerroom skin with rakeback ). he was playing on party for a while but quit in favor of rakeback on betonbet. he's also not playing with a PA hud or anything which i think is a mistake. in my opinion playing without a hud is always a mistake since one is so valuable at any limit.

also i was somewhat of the opinion that table selection was not terribly important at limits as low as .50/1 and 1/2. i'm sure that it is far less important than it is at 10/20 but i'd be interested to know if you all feel that it is very important at smaller stakes too.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 PM

I'm a very similar situation.

I was at 3.5BB/100 over 30K hands at .25/.50 and .50/1, then moved to 1/2. I had been playing four tables and stayed with that at 1/2 and ran slightly negative for 30K hands, then started having catastrophic sessions for the next 20K hands, down 400BB at one point.

My final conclusion was that I was playing too many tables with some small leaks, and then hit a horrible downswing which was greatly magnified by the leaks. When you get rivered over and over, and can never hit a draw with overwhelming odds to call, it tends to mask your real leaks. All the focus goes on getting hammered when you're otherwise playing correctly.

I cut back to two tables and went back to basics. The losses have been stemmed, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still bankrolled for 1/2, so I don't see any reason to move back down. I'm determined to stay at 1/2 until I beat it. So that would be my advice.

Playing two tables is boring after playing four, but seeing even small green numbers in PT instead of large red ones makes up for it.