Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-25-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Burnout

For those of you who play for a living:

Did you ever drop down the # of tables you played to avoid burnout and did it help?

I feel I may be starting to burnout as poker is no longer fun for me and I no longer play the hours I used to.

I've averaged about 38 hours per week playing either 12 full tables or 8 SH tables for the past year and for the last 3 months I played 79 hours in October, 87 hours in November and 32 hours so far this month with me deciding to take the rest of the month of for holdiays.

I'm finding myself not wanting to play anymore and I was going to drop the # of SH tables I play from 8 to 4 and concentrate on moving up rather than playing on autopilot all the time.

I figure playing in higher stakes will compensate for the fewer hours I will be putting in.

I also think I fell into the "rakeback" trap and tried to get more rakeback by playing more tables rather then improve my game and play fewer tables at higher stakes.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Burnout

I wrote a good article on burnout for my website. I wont post the link cause it would be spam I think. Have you ever considered learning non holdem games? Go play live for a while. What did you do for hobby before playing poker full time? Was it poker? Going to have to find a new hobby then.

Play some playstation games, get a new car and take a road trip, whatever. I dont see how playing fewer tables will help though. Maybe going down a bunch of limits and playing donk poker would give some entertainment back to it. IMO though learning Omaha or Stud would decrease burnout or at least increase the periods between burnout.

Finding a way out of that computer is the #1 way out of the burnout.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:12 AM

Im pretty sure that I can post the link since its not my site. I think the article is worth a read.

link

If not feel free to delete mods
Old 12-25-2005, 01:13 AM

Yeah I find a really good Xbox game to be a great compliment to online poker during these cold months. But yeah, burnout is natural, poker is not that interesting or fun.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I find a really good Xbox game to be a great compliment to online poker during these cold months. But yeah, burnout is natural, poker is not that interesting or fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I got a poker friend that I think got more hooked on Madden football then he ever was on poker. I have another friend that took a month off and went back to his old job, just to remember how bad it sucked which brought him back to realize poker isnt as bad.

Sometimes poker burnout can be a symptom of burnout in other parts of life too. Need a girlfriend/new girlfriend? New place to live? new car?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:07 AM

"I've averaged about 38 hours per week playing either 12 full tables or 8 SH tables for the past year"

Yup...that would do it to me for sure.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I've averaged about 38 hours per week playing either 12 full tables or 8 SH tables for the past year"

Yup...that would do it to me for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I still dont see how people can stomach 8-12 tabling. Cutting that many back would help, I play 6 at the most. I missed that before.