Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Default 3 betting turn with TPTK and flush outs

I am trying to be selectively more aggressive with hands like TPTK.

1) Is the following a good spot?
2) Would you 3-bet this giving the history without the flush draw?

History: I am new to the table and have no PT reads on the villain. Recently I bluffed the whole way with K-high and he called down with a small pair.

preflop Hero raises UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Villain calls in sb, bb folds.

Flop 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
villain check / calls.

Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain check / raises and Hero 3-bets
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 3 betting turn with TPTK and flush outs

if he calls the 3-bet, what's the river plan?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM

I like it. He could very easily have QJ, KJ, lower flush draw, TT, 99 here.

Next question is.. What do you do if you don't improve on the river. I think that I bet call.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM

With the flushdraw I definitely like this 3-bet. Good chance your ahead and if not we have 9+ outs to improve.

It's a bit more marginal without the flushdraw. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that 3-betting would be correct or not. With your history I think you could lean a bit towards a 3-bet but he's still an unknown and hard to make these decisions against. Against an unknown I tend to make plays that don't put me in a situation where I feel I need to fold (like if he caps the turn or c/r's the river). I would more often then not just call down the turn and call a bet or bet/call if checked to on the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM

I think this is great. if he just calls the turn bet/fold the river (UI), if we hit two pair or trips bet/call
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he calls the 3-bet, what's the river plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet and fold to a raise if I didn't improve.

In the hand, villain ended up capping the turn and I obviously called. Fold river UI right?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Very nice. Top pair, top kicker, nut flush draw is a great hand. Sure you may be behind after villian raises, but maybe not. He might have a flush draw also, or think you're speedin'.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, assuming the river card isn't an overcard to your jacks, you need to adopt a plan that assures a showdown. Top pair top kicker has too many ways to win to fold on the river in this situation. Maybe you check call, or make a crying call of the raise. Either one is a better plan than bet/fold in my opinion.

In your original post you said you're trying to learn to become more aggressive, and your turn play is a fine example of your efforts to improve. I think you may have a river leak, however. As you become more aggressive, people will believe you less. The result is that, ironically, you must become a bit more loose and passive on the river in certain situations. Don't become weak at the same time you become more aggressive.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, assuming the river card isn't an overcard to your jacks, you need to adopt a plan that assures a showdown. Top pair top kicker has too many ways to win to fold on the river in this situation. Maybe you check call, or make a crying call of the raise. Either one is a better plan than bet/fold in my opinion.

In your original post you said you're trying to learn to become more aggressive, and your turn play is a fine example of your efforts to improve. I think you may have a river leak, however. As you become more aggressive, people will believe you less. The result is that, ironically, you must become a bit more loose and passive on the river in certain situations. Don't become weak at the same time you become more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had position on my opponent in this hand. I would be VERY surprised if he would check-raise me twice in a row after I 3-bet the turn with a hand worse than AJ.

edit: however I do agree that I need a plan to see a showdown no matter what. I think in the heat of the moment I probably would have bet/called a checkraise, not that that is correct.