Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: ---HU SNG Challenge Progress Report---

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the SNG's I win are all in the first level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, for me too. Max. time has been 53 minutes but average time for me is around 11 minutes with more than 50% ending in level 1.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... maybe I should switch to stars. The bodog structure is 10 hands per level, first level = 5/10, and 1k starting chips. It usually ends at 30/60 or 50/100.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow... maybe I should switch to stars. The bodog structure is 10 hands per level, first level = 5/10, and 1k starting chips. It usually ends at 30/60 or 50/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm sure you're playing more than 1 hand per minute. So even though you are getting to a much higher blind level, the average time to completion isn't probably far off.

I'm not sure how many hands I'm playing in level 1, but it's WAY more than 10.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Very interesting thread. If you don't mind, what buyins are you playing? I'm curious if it is mainly lower buyins that go so fast. Also, how many tables are you playing?

Well, I can't start until Irie's project is up to make sure I get in my 500 games.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:10 PM

The player archetype I've noticed that is pretty common in low-level HU SNGs on Stars is: loose preflop (will fold pretty rarely to PF action), folds to flop continuation bets when they whiff, will call down if they've caught basically anything. Against these opponents, I've generally been adopting the strategy of trying to see flops as cheaply as possible, so that when we both miss relatively small continuation bets take it down, and it gives me numerous chances to get top pair type holdings paid off by weaker hands.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The player archetype I've noticed that is pretty common in low-level HU SNGs on Stars is: loose preflop (will fold pretty rarely to PF action), folds to flop continuation bets when they whiff, will call down if they've caught basically anything. Against these opponents, I've generally been adopting the strategy of trying to see flops as cheaply as possible, so that when we both miss relatively small continuation bets take it down, and it gives me numerous chances to get top pair type holdings paid off by weaker hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

So they must be bluffing a lot post flop?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Occasionally, but not as much as you would think, in my experience (which is still quite limited in these games). It seems like a reaction to another stereotypical HU style of super over-aggressiveness, so maybe they enjoy enough success against the right people to make it worthwhile.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Occasionally, but not as much as you would think, in my experience (which is still quite limited in these games). It seems like a reaction to another stereotypical HU style of super over-aggressiveness, so maybe they enjoy enough success against the right people to make it worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking, if they are folding when they whiff, you aren't getting paid a lot when you hit, unless they bluff into you. If they are being passive preflop and weak post flop, it seems like raising preflop and stealing postflop would be good.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking, if they are folding when they whiff, you aren't getting paid a lot when you hit, unless they bluff into you. If they are being passive preflop and weak post flop, it seems like raising preflop and stealing postflop would be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's a valid point. The thing is that they fold pretty rarely when the flop hits them at all, so taking stabs at it will pretty frequently miss, and it seems like on balance the effect would be to just effectively raise the blinds. I do still raise occasionally preflop, but a lot less than I might in other circumstances.

I should also note that I have not thought particularly deeply about these games and I'm quite possibly way off base. This is just what I've noticed so far.