Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Losing weight.

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, a homemade chicken breast with salad w/ an olive oil vinagrette would probably be healthier and cheaper than a lean cuisine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tastier too.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Weight training doesn't seem like the answer for you. Building muscle won't help you lose weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. Plus, it sounds like your protein intake is low, so you won't be building much muscle anyway. Aerobic exercise is bettor for losing weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight training, real weight training would be of enormous benefit, for varous reasons which I won't bother listing since you sound pretty set against "working out", but PM me if you change your mind. If you're going to try to do this with diet alone, which can certainly be done to a point, then handsome had the idea. Many, small meals, litle food and no carbs after dinner, lots of fluids, lots of veggies/fiber. Don't drink calories.

If you get more serious, check out the nutrition or fat loss forums at bodybuilding.com.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Weight training doesn't seem like the answer for you. Building muscle won't help you lose weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. Plus, it sounds like your protein intake is low, so you won't be building much muscle anyway. Aerobic exercise is bettor for losing weight.

[/ QUOTE ]
You lose weight when the amount of calories taken in is less than the amount of calories burned. You can burn calories by physical activity. Big muscles also burn calories. Personally, I feel that people should both lift and do cardio-related activities.
[ QUOTE ]
3) I don't know what your diet is like, but replacing soda with water is a very easy way to cut calories out of your diet. If you hate water, try gatorade, since it has less than half the calories of soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

No-one should be drinking soda. It's just pure garbage. Gatorade isn't much better. Also just simple sugars. It is more watered down, so it has fewer calories.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have any

[ QUOTE ]
I made a weight loss money bet with my roomate and a friend. I lost 31 pounds by just not eating such crap all the time, and I started running on the treadmill. After 4 months of that, I'm lighter, feel better, and I actually ate Taco Bell for the first time after not eating it for months and now it tastes like [censored] to me.

By the way, I was 6'3" and 245, so pretty much your size. Maybe if money is on the line that will boost your willpower.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make a $5 bet with my friend that I could lose a certain amount, but never got around to it. I am up 2 $5 bets with him already. I bet him that somebody that was engaged to be married a year from the time we made the bet, wouldn't get married. I also won when I bet him that our friend's relationship wouldn't last 3 months (It didn't last 3 weeks).

[ QUOTE ]
Couple of thoughts.

2) If you don't like running, try swimming. Swimming laps burns an enormous amount of calories, is less stressful for your body, and more fun (IMO).

3) I don't know what your diet is like, but replacing soda with water is a very easy way to cut calories out of your diet. If you hate water, try gatorade, since it has less than half the calories of soda.

4) If you can't cut out pizza and applebees, thats ok. But DON'T drink alcohol when you eat these foods. Alcohol intake actually hurts the body's ability to break down fat, and these foods are obviously very high in fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more concerned with how I actually look than a specific weight amount. I do drink more water on my diet. 1 gallon a day. It isn't like I can't cut out applebee's and pizza, but I don't really want to.

[ QUOTE ]
To achieve that, stop eating [censored] like bagels, get a lot of activity (walking, running, dancing, swimming, etc), drink a lot of liquids (no juice or soda) and eat smaller meals more frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bagel is possibly the best thing I eat all day. I don't think you realize what I eat in a typical day.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't know how healthy lean cuisine. Learn about dietary stuff. If don't know what fats are good, and what carbs are good, you have a problem. For instance, a homemade chicken breast with salad w/ an olive oil vinagrette would probably be healthier and cheaper than a lean cuisine.

[/ QUOTE ]

DO you realize how easy lean cuisine's are to make?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am more concerned with how I actually look than a specific weight amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well that changes things. Obviously weight training is important if you want to improve your appearence, but just lifting weights won't get you very far, you will have to adjust your whole diet.

However, I am in no way qualified to explain how to do this, since I'm a scrawny little bitch. I just know a few things from my buddy, who is a very, very hardcore body builder.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight training, real weight training would be of enormous benefit, for varous reasons which I won't bother listing since you sound pretty set against "working out", but PM me if you change your mind. If you're going to try to do this with diet alone, which can certainly be done to a point, then handsome had the idea. Many, small meals, litle food and no carbs after dinner, lots of fluids, lots of veggies/fiber. Don't drink calories.

If you get more serious, check out the nutrition or fat loss forums at bodybuilding.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not completely against working out, but I am really bad at it and I don't really like it. I do know that working out has a lot of benefits.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41 AM

I am surprised no one suggested this: Put the exercise bike in front of the TV.

Try and never sit still. Instead of sitting on the couch eating and eating chips while you watch TV, use the exercise bike, do sit-ups, do push-ups, or stretch. This is a really easy way to incorporate an hour or two of cardio work into every day.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... but just lifting weights won't get you very far, you will have to adjust your whole diet.

However, I am in no way qualified to explain how to do this, since I'm a scrawny little bitch. I just know a few things from my buddy, who is a very, very hardcore body builder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lift weights. Eat a lot of protein (a beginners' target would be half of body weight, so 130 grams, which is quite a bit). It isn't rocket science.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:46 AM

Walk. Walk everywhere. Walk to work and walk home and walk in your lunch hour. Walk to the pub, walk to the gym, walk to the game. And then walk some more. Get up early and go for a walk. Go for a walk before you go to bed. Take every opportunity to get mobile.

I started walking with a view to get running again, but found that I was less knackered and felt fitter by keeping up the walking (up to 3 1/3 hours a day during the week). Takes less out of you.

Then give up eating crap. No booze Monday through to Friday, then enjoy yourself over the weekend.

I lost 12 kilos in 12 weeks.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to make a $5 bet with my friend that I could lose a certain amount, but never got around to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think making the weight loss bet a money amount that is significant to you would make you strive to lose more weight. If $5 is significant to you, I apologize.