Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Learning a foreign language

I am traveling starting in January, and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to be come fluent in 1 or 2 different languages on my journey.

So, I need to know what is feasible in terms of time it takes to learn a language. I have taken a couple courses in spanish and a couple courses in german. I speak spanish fairly well (conversational), but my german is horrible (I can do the basics). So that is the extent of my current foriegn language experience. However, I imagine immersion is key to becoming fluent.

So, assuming I study up on the language before I enter a new culture. This will involve buying a book like teach yourself french in 24 hours. You know the type. Also, I'll get an additional book on tape to listen through.
2 books of prerequisite knowledge.

After this, I'll sojourn in an area that speaks the given language for a period of ~2 months. Doing my best to be maintain complete immersion in the culture and language.

I want to pick up at least 2 languages. I was thinking French and Hindi.

As for why I picked Hindi and French, I was hoping to stay in paris and play at the aviators club fairly often. I figure 2 months there playing at the aviators club 3-5 times a week, and talking with those guys in french should give me a chance. Plus daily life activites.

No real reason for Hindi, just thought I would stay in India for a spell, and since that is the most common of their many dialects or at least most widely spoken of of any of the modern indic vernaculars, it would be the best choice.

So, am I off my rocker. Is 2 months way not enough time? Is 2 months too much time? Is 2 months a reachable but tough goal?

what ya think?

blake