Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 PM

Default K9s question.

How do you play K9s preflop from mp1 mp2 and mp3 and this is assuming that there are no limpers in front? and how do you play it with 1 or 2 limpers? I know it depends on the table but in general how would you play it.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: K9s question.

I play it really badly, apparently. This hand is my single biggest money loser so far in terms of BB/100.

I tend to fold it from early position or MP1/MP2, but I might think about calling around MP3. I'd call in MP1 if the EP players had limped and I didn't think it would be raised. Basically I consider this a speculative hand that I'd like to see a cheap flop with, or get out (like 87s).

But maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice on this one... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 PM

I think you kind of answered your own question in the original post. We all know that poker is situational, and we have to learn to adjust and play accordingly.

On the technical side I'd say K9s is a decent hand to limp with from middle posistion with a couple of callers. Closer to the back with no one in it can be a raise. Judge your action here by if the table is generally loose or passive.

Also many of the posters here will tell you that pre-flop is gay. Get a general idea of how to play pre-flop, then concentrate your efforts on post-flop play where most of the money is won.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:21 AM

I'm not a 6max expert since I just started trying it, and I'm only playing 1/2 limits, but I believe that K9s is a raise UTG in 6max, meaning it's probably good for a raise in MP2. I definitely would open raise it from MP3+ though -- I think open limping with this hand is a very bad idea. Overlimping, however, has its merits I believe.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 AM

If I'm in MP1 or MP2 and it's folded to me, I tend to dump K9s. It really is a hand that plays best multiway or short-handed. As a previous poster said, it really depends. If a table is loose, I'm more inclined to limp it. If they are tight and I'm in early position, I'm more inclined to fold it. There's nothing that screams domination like you limping in with K9s and having someone in a later position raise it up.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a 6max expert since I just started trying it, and I'm only playing 1/2 limits, but I believe that K9s is a raise UTG in 6max, meaning it's probably good for a raise in MP2. I definitely would open raise it from MP3+ though -- I think open limping with this hand is a very bad idea. Overlimping, however, has its merits I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I would play it but I was not sure. I open raise with it from mp3 and generally fold in mp2 if no one else is in.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I would play it but I was not sure. I open raise with it from mp3 and generally fold in mp2 if no one else is in.

[/ QUOTE ]
What limits do you play at? You may find this slightly humorous, but at 1/2, if you open raise with K9s - most of the time, you will only get called by better hands.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:29 AM

Fold unless in CO or on the button. i may or may not complete in the blinds depending on the players, but not if raised. too easily dominated in this spot as people love hands like KJ, QJ, A9s, etc.