Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Default 30-60 hand - mike l thinks I blew one street

And I now agree with him. 30-60. UTG open raises. He's done this with hands like JTo and A9o in the exact same spot. Folded to cranky local in MP who angrily 3-bets. This is not a calm "I have kings so this is my normal 3-bet", this is a "I'm sick of this guy so I'm isolating" 3-bet. Button, a total lag who slowplays his big hands preflop now 4-bets. SB folds. I consider capping from the BB with 6h6d, but decide to smoothcall and checkraise any favorable flop. UTG and MP both call. 4 to the flop for 17sbs.

Flop: 3h 4h 8d. Checked to button who bets, I checkraise, UTG and MP both disgustedly fold, button calls.

Turn: Ts. I bet, button calls.

River: 8h. I bet.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: 30-60 hand - mike l thinks I blew one street

I'm not sure where mike isn't happy with you, but even though this is presumably short-handed, I'm not thrilled with the calling the 4-bet out of the big blind with 6's.

I like how you check-raised the flop, given that, though, maybe check the turn, hoping for the check-through, and then bet out at the river due to "hitting your flush"?

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-01-2005, 12:35 PM

Not shorthanded, it was a full 10-handed table. Just a little juiced up.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a little juiced up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ye of understatements.

Verily juiced up, I reckon.

Even so -- and someone called this standard pre-flop above? -- this seems a bit ... too much.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-01-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you check-raised the flop, given that, though, maybe check the turn, hoping for the check-through, and then bet out at the river due to "hitting your flush"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Do you really think this is the best play, or are you just trying to make up a play that maybe somebody else thinks is the best play so you can be in agreement with them? You know, it is possible that, even though two players seem to have agreed that exactly one street was misplayed, there were zero or even two misplayed streets.

Anyways, this convoluted flush draw representation is ridiculous. There's no way a LAG is folding a pair for one bet in a huge pot.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? Do you really think this is the best play, or are you just trying to make up a play that maybe somebody else thinks is the best play so you can be in agreement with them? You know, it is possible that, even though two players seem to have agreed that exactly one street was misplayed, there were zero or even two misplayed streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps what I wrote did get convoluted as I was trying to guess at what was thought as "the wrong street" into my thoughts, but I think what I wrote was fairly clear regardless (and, while I do participate in these discussions to learn from them, I certainly would never say anything just to come to some agreement with others, especially if I don't agree with their opinions).

That all said... Hopefully my explanation above covers it. No, I don't think you can induce a fold too easily in this hand (especially when you see the results) and I still think the big street error was pre-flop and I would've folded, but let's forget that and assume the pre-flop action is a given...

The flop is played well.

So then we're at the turn. I think the check / check-raise followed by betting the river MIGHT be the only way out of Denmark with this hand.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Barron you actually wrote in your post...

>>>I like how you check-raised the flop, given that, though, maybe check the turn, hoping for the check-through, and then bet out at the river due to "hitting your flush"?<<<

How does this make any sense at all? This is a very bad post. Seriously what are you talking about? Are you bluffing? Value betting? Opposite Day?

And why does noone comment? Is everyone just ignoring him for some reason?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:58 PM

"And why does noone comment?"

I thought elindauer covered it.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Default You are right Clark elindauer did cover it N/M

N/M
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barron you actually wrote in your post...

>>>I like how you check-raised the flop, given that, though, maybe check the turn, hoping for the check-through, and then bet out at the river due to "hitting your flush"?<<<

How does this make any sense at all? This is a very bad post. Seriously what are you talking about? Are you bluffing? Value betting? Opposite Day?

And why does noone comment? Is everyone just ignoring him for some reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other guy (Elin.) did cover it well, as far as why I said what I did, my first point still is that I am not crazy about the pre-flop action. Granted, I'm out here on the east coast and seniors would hit me with their canes and/or walkers if I tabled pocket 66's at showdown after this pre-flop action.

HOWEVER, as to why I said what I did, without being results oriented (his opponent has a flush, he's going to lose, ESPECIALLY given my line) I thought another way to try this would be to check-raise the flop, check the turn (raising if bet at), and then betting out at the river regardless.

The whole thing is a bluff in this situation as he's representing from the get-go some holding that is > 66's. Given that, that was my $0.02 (which would've cost him more than he lost on the hand, granted).

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com