Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Default stud8: do you bet here too?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.63 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (1.63 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 10-05-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: stud8: do you bet here too?

I think it's worth a shot. I'm not sure why your opponents are limping and now checking all the way. You could be representing a legitimate made low as it's not unreasonable for you to not bet 4th since Seat 4 caught a suited baby. I think Seat 4 definitely has to bet 4th here even if he's going low and paired his 6s.

On 6th your opponents once again caught some pretty crappy cards. With the pot being so small, I think they'd have a hard time calling a big bet now. I'd be fairly surprised if your bet here didn't take down the pot.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 PM

Not me, I don't think these jokers are folding, not to mention you really don't have anything and the pot is super small. I just check it down and hope for the best.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:16 PM

I don't bet here but I'm pretty unimaginative with these type of hands (i.e., crapola)... I like your move, you will probably get at least one of the players to fold, and the other will fold to a bet on the river most likely. Nice
Old 10-05-2005, 08:58 PM

This is bad. Your fighting for nothing in the pot and people at low limits will just assume you are pushing a low and will call with lone pairs that are bigger than yours.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is bad. Your fighting for nothing in the pot and people at low limits will just assume you are pushing a low and will call with lone pairs that are bigger than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exactly.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:25 PM

no, this pot isn't worth bluffing at.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 PM

when seat 4 checks don't you bet 4th st and fold to a raise? prepared to be done with it.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 PM

Against idiots I check. Against opponents who are a little bit reasonable, I think about betting 5th, though seat 1's hand scares me, and I definitely bet sixth and fire again on the river agaisnt a single remaining opponent.

Yes it's a small pot and your opponents may calls but this means your opponents may make incorrect calls with draws. If they call with hands they will fold unimproved on 7th, this makes a bet even more profitable.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:25 PM

Here's my thoughts on betting:
Anyone with a middle/high poker would have already let me know by 5th at the latest. The best hand they can have is a 4low with a 4straight/flush and that's the minimum they'll need to call a bet on 6th. They are expecting to pay 2BB to fight over half a BB in the likely split, and so they might even fold a weak two-way draw. So long as one person folds, I get to act last, so I may also get the chance to value bet if I hit my card or the option to check behind for a free showdown.

Now lets suppose I'm called by middle pair above 6 but below T. I'm a 2:1 underdog.
66%: I check/fold and lose 1BB with 66
33%: I bet/call and win 5.5BB with tens/kings up

for a net of +1BB everytime I make this play.
I may also lose with T/K up, or maybe I bet 6s up and get called by a better hand, or perhaps someone super-slowplayed or lucked into a monster, etc, but I don't think those situations outweight the far most likely scenario of everyone just folding it to my bet on 6th (probably 75% of the time). If the players were so loose that I thought they'd likely call, then I don't bet here of course.

Saying check/folding the small pot does seem like a very reasonable line to take. There's a good chance I can just win it at showdown with lone sixes if it is the best hand and a free card doesn't hurt me. maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I just cant find the math to say fold right now.